Sign in to follow this  

Ray tracing contest for $$$

This topic is 3374 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've mentioned contests at TopCoder before in the Lounge, but this one seemed likely to appeal to the guys in this particular forum. Here is the problem statement to TC's marathon match. You might have to register to see it, in which case my only request is that if you register you might list me as referrer. A short summary: a room considers a number of glass ellipsoids and a number of (monochromatic/single-frequency) point light sources, as well as a large rectangular screen and a camera. The aim is to calculate the intensities of each pixel on the screen as seen from the camera. Since the ellipsoids are glass, refraction and reflection are important, but polarisation is ignored. Scoring is based on a combination of render quality and time taken. This contest allows multi-threading on AMD PCs and a simple C implementation is provided. The prize pool is $5K: 1st Place $2,500 2nd Place $1,000 3rd Place $750 4th Place $500 5th Place $250 If I get some time, I might see you there.

Quote:
Competitors must not cheat. All ideas for code and/or challenges submitted must be the competitor's alone. TopCoder uses the word "cheat" to mean collaboration of any sort - including, but not limited to, working with another competitor, submitting code that was not fully authored by you, and using resources, software, etc. that are not allowed in TopCoder competitions or the Competition. TopCoder reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove any competitor from a Round and/or the Competition who it suspects of cheating.

Is there a list of allowed/not allowed software? Are boost and GNU Scientific Library allowed?

Unless they have boost installed on their test PCs, it isn't available (you'd have to ask on the forum).

You cannot use ANY code that isn't 100% your own, is my understanding from previous contests, regardless of license. But again, ask in the forum for the contest.

I'm not sure what the list of allowed software is. I think we have had discussions before on using 3rd-party tools which auto-generate code, but I don't really know if that's what this clause is about.

This topic is 3374 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.