Sign in to follow this  
Dave Blake

OpenGL Multiple rendering contexts and the back buffer

I am looking at reworking a 2D graphics GDI based MDI style Windows app to use OpenGL for faster and more exotic displays - an interesting challenge! I think I have figured out how to handle the multiple rendering contexts necessary for MDI, activating the context only to render and then deactivating. But I am wondering how expensive the wglMakeCurrent calls will be on speed, especially when one of the child windows is in animation mode. Any tips for MDI with OGL? With GDI I draw my graphic on an internal bitmap buffer and then blt it to the window, so if the window subsequently repaints it does not require a redraw. Pretty standard GDI double buffering stuff. In comparison, in OpenGL it seems that I will have to re-render with every window repaint. This makes sense if the app is a single window with a rapidly changing scene, but wasteful for my multi-window not always animated situation. I am wondering in OpenGL if when using PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER can I treat the back buffer in a similar way to the GDI bitmap buffer? Is the content of the back buffer maintained after a swapbuffers call? It seems to be in simple tests. Is the content of the back buffer maintained when switching rendering contexts? I suspect that it isn't. Any suggestions on using OpenGl efficiently with multiple rendering contexts and sometimes static displays?

Thanks for link V-man

So the back buffer contents is unreliable once the buffers are swapped, not surprising really. Maybe the overhead of rendering a static scene with every window repaint won't be too bad anyway, OpenGL being just so fast!

I'll look into FBOs. I also wonder if glAddSwapHintRectWin can help.

Always the same with new tools, tend to flap around a bit until you find out how they work.