Sign in to follow this  
captainfreedom

OpenGL texture concatenation tool

I'm looking for a tool that will automatically arrange several images into a opengl compatible texture using a best fit algorithm and write the co-ordinates to a text file. Does anyone know if a tool like that exists?

Ok, I should have mentioned that I'm using opengl es.
Besides that, the nvidia tool assumes that the origonal textures are in power of two dimensions and does no proper bin packing.
The reason I want this is becuase I have a whole load of textures in non opengl compatible dimensions (i.e. 34 x 34 ) if I put each one in a seperate texture that will be a collosal waste, so the obvious solution is to pack them into one texture

Do the fun task of making your own. What is probably the most obvious solution, but also very slow and not scalable at all is to, for each texture, start at 0,0 and try to stick it in, incrementing the position until it fits or you run out of places to put it.

A much more ideal solution is to use a binary tree to track the memory. First, get a rough guess on the size of the texture. You know it will have to be as wide and as tall as the widest and tallest textures, along with have at least the area of all textures combined. If you want to go for less runs to fit them all instead of smallest size, you can start a little larger, requiring the destination to have at least 125% of the area of the source.

Order your elements from largest to smallest, then start plopping them in. The solution for tracking the space that I found the most idea was using a binary tree. There is a great site out there on how to do this (though they did it for light maps I believe), but I can not remember the link. I'm sure plenty of people here know exactly what I'm talking about and can provide you with the link. ;)

I implemented a texture atlas for my 2d engine doing this, and the results were very pleasing. In very little time, I could fill up a 4096x4096 texture with very minimal amount of unused space. In case you do not want to make your own, I do want to mention that, besides the tool Spek posted, I have not seen very much out there that can help with this problem, but it is not a very hard task as long as you know the way to approach it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By lonewolff
      Hi guys,
      With OpenGL not having a dedicated SDK, how were libraries like GLUT and the likes ever written?
      Could someone these days write an OpenGL library from scratch? How would you even go about this?
      Obviously this question stems from the fact that there is no OpenGL SDK.
      DirectX is a bit different as MS has the advantage of having the relationship with the vendors and having full access to OS source code and the entire works.
      If I were to attempt to write the most absolute basic lib to access OpenGL on the GPU, how would I go about this?
    • By DelicateTreeFrog
      Hello! As an exercise for delving into modern OpenGL, I'm creating a simple .obj renderer. I want to support things like varying degrees of specularity, geometry opacity, things like that, on a per-material basis. Different materials can also have different textures. Basic .obj necessities. I've done this in old school OpenGL, but modern OpenGL has its own thing going on, and I'd like to conform as closely to the standards as possible so as to keep the program running correctly, and I'm hoping to avoid picking up bad habits this early on.
      Reading around on the OpenGL Wiki, one tip in particular really stands out to me on this page:
      For something like a renderer for .obj files, this sort of thing seems almost ideal, but according to the wiki, it's a bad idea. Interesting to note!
      So, here's what the plan is so far as far as loading goes:
      Set up a type for materials so that materials can be created and destroyed. They will contain things like diffuse color, diffuse texture, geometry opacity, and so on, for each material in the .mtl file. Since .obj files are conveniently split up by material, I can load different groups of vertices/normals/UVs and triangles into different blocks of data for different models. When it comes to the rendering, I get a bit lost. I can either:
      Between drawing triangle groups, call glUseProgram to use a different shader for that particular geometry (so a unique shader just for the material that is shared by this triangle group). or
      Between drawing triangle groups, call glUniform a few times to adjust different parameters within the "master shader", such as specularity, diffuse color, and geometry opacity. In both cases, I still have to call glBindTexture between drawing triangle groups in order to bind the diffuse texture used by the material, so there doesn't seem to be a way around having the CPU do *something* during the rendering process instead of letting the GPU do everything all at once.
      The second option here seems less cluttered, however. There are less shaders to keep up with while one "master shader" handles it all. I don't have to duplicate any code or compile multiple shaders. Arguably, I could always have the shader program for each material be embedded in the material itself, and be auto-generated upon loading the material from the .mtl file. But this still leads to constantly calling glUseProgram, much more than is probably necessary in order to properly render the .obj. There seem to be a number of differing opinions on if it's okay to use hundreds of shaders or if it's best to just use tens of shaders.
      So, ultimately, what is the "right" way to do this? Does using a "master shader" (or a few variants of one) bog down the system compared to using hundreds of shader programs each dedicated to their own corresponding materials? Keeping in mind that the "master shaders" would have to track these additional uniforms and potentially have numerous branches of ifs, it may be possible that the ifs will lead to additional and unnecessary processing. But would that more expensive than constantly calling glUseProgram to switch shaders, or storing the shaders to begin with?
      With all these angles to consider, it's difficult to come to a conclusion. Both possible methods work, and both seem rather convenient for their own reasons, but which is the most performant? Please help this beginner/dummy understand. Thank you!
    • By JJCDeveloper
      I want to make professional java 3d game with server program and database,packet handling for multiplayer and client-server communicating,maps rendering,models,and stuffs Which aspect of java can I learn and where can I learn java Lwjgl OpenGL rendering Like minecraft and world of tanks
    • By AyeRonTarpas
      A friend of mine and I are making a 2D game engine as a learning experience and to hopefully build upon the experience in the long run.

-What I'm using:
          C++;. Since im learning this language while in college and its one of the popular language to make games with why not.     Visual Studios; Im using a windows so yea.     SDL or GLFW; was thinking about SDL since i do some research on it where it is catching my interest but i hear SDL is a huge package compared to GLFW, so i may do GLFW to start with as learning since i may get overwhelmed with SDL.  
      -Questions
      Knowing what we want in the engine what should our main focus be in terms of learning. File managements, with headers, functions ect. How can i properly manage files with out confusing myself and my friend when sharing code. Alternative to Visual studios: My friend has a mac and cant properly use Vis studios, is there another alternative to it?  
    • By ferreiradaselva
      Both functions are available since 3.0, and I'm currently using `glMapBuffer()`, which works fine.
      But, I was wondering if anyone has experienced advantage in using `glMapBufferRange()`, which allows to specify the range of the mapped buffer. Could this be only a safety measure or does it improve performance?
      Note: I'm not asking about glBufferSubData()/glBufferData. Those two are irrelevant in this case.
  • Popular Now