Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homing Missles

This topic is 6032 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wasn''t sure where to put this, I guess the general discussion would be cool. OK, I''m writing a game in C++/DX8, it is a 2D side-scrolling shooter.. I have the basic engine finished and now I''m working on weapons. I want to have a bullet that emitted from my ship home in on a target. Here''s the deal, the bullet has a X and Y position and an "angle". The angle variable represents which way the bullet will move. The target of the bullet is an X and Y position. So all I need to figure out is an algoritm that will slowly change the "angle" variable until the bullet is facing the target. I was thinking of using DOT products, but that seems like overkill for a simple 2D homing missle. So, I was wondering, could people give me some suggestions on the best way to do this I would really appreciate it. Thanks! -Rich

I was working on a flocking algorithm a while ago that needed the boids to face in the direction of a target - I took the current angle of the boid, and the angle to the target, and interpolated the two:

nextAngle = (3*currentAngle + 2*targetAngle)/5

It needs a bit of work for it to correctly turn the missile when currentAngle & targetAngle are greater than 180 degrees apart, but it seems to work fine.

Depending on how you want the missile to turn - there''s a slight problem here in that it turns slower as it approaches the target, rather than turning at a constant rate, but it generally looks pretty good. Give it a try & see what it looks like....

Da Fish.

Try something like this...

newMissleAngle = atan2(missleY-targetY, missleX-targetX);

if(newMissleAngle-oldMissleAngle > MAX_ANGLE_VEL)
newMissleAngle = MAX_ANGLE_VEL;
if(newMissleAngle-oldMissleAngle < -MAX_ANGLE_VEL)
newMissleAngle = -MAX_ANGLE_VEL;

the higher MAX_ANGLE_VEL, the better the missle will be at tracking. Make sure I did everything right... especially that atan2 call.

it goes something like:

int targetx, targety;
int bulletx, bullety, bulletang;

// every time the target moves you calc it again
bullang = atan2(targety - bullety, targetx - bulletx);

bulletx += COS(bulletang *3.141/180) * rad;
bullety += SIN(bulletang *3.141/180) * rad;

if (bullet hit target) killbulle, hit-targer;

that''s about it i guess
ofcourse make a look up table for the SIN/COS
and don''t use 360 degrees use something like 2**x

hmm i usually use 512 for example