Sign in to follow this  

Culling front facing polys behind front most

This topic is 3409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, topic says it all. I need to cull front facing polygons behind front most polygons. I'm assuming theres a sort thats need on the polygons so that I don't draw them or draw over them. I'm also curious how front most objects are drawn also, as I'm assuming I will be dealing with this issue too. Cheers

visible surface determination is a big subject, there is a lot of potential ways to do this, you could use a bsp and beam tree approach, pre-calculate a pvs for a certain area you are in, portals, draw a bsp front-to-back and have a z-buffer type mask for each pixel that has been drawn, the list goes on, usally with todays hardware its more about culling a large section of polygons rather than every single one and it doesnt matter so much if you have some overdraw.

Quakes VSD
Portals

edit:

if you just want to draw the correct polygon in front of the other for the right effect the best ways are to eith use a bsp-tree or a z-buffer

[Edited by - staticVoid2 on September 17, 2008 2:03:24 AM]

Sign in to follow this