Sign in to follow this  
raynor

Game Controller Development

I want to build a game controller that provides speed information to a racing game like Need for Speed on Windows (just like a gas pedal controller would do). The question I have is how do I make the controller available to Need for Speed? I suppose it uses the DirectInput API to access game controllers. I searched for information on DirectInput but the only information I found is how to program a game to make use of existing game controllers using DirectInput, but I did not find information on how to provide a game controller to games. My assumption is that I would have to develop some sort of driver that would interface with the hardware and make it available to games using DirectInput API. Is that a correct assumption? Is there any information on that (like which SDK, some examples, links, etc...)

Thanks Hodgman. The link to the post was useful. So I think my best option will be to build a HID driver (USB) and declare it as Type=Throttle. I will look at the USB doc, Windows DDK and probably DirectX doc.