C++ and Vector/Iterator Question

Started by
7 comments, last by SiCrane 15 years, 7 months ago
Hey, sorry for the really noobish question, but I have an vector of a custom struct, and i'm trying to iterate through it, and change elements, is this possible?

void update_word( int id, vector<CustomStruct> &v)
{	
	//create iterator to loop through the vector
	vector< CustomStruct >::iterator i;

//check every element in the vector starting at the beginning
	for (i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
	{
	       //get the WordStat struct
		CustomStruct cs= *i;
		//check to see if it's the same id
		if (cs.id == id)
		{
			cs.count++;
		}
        }
}

That's kinda what i'm trying to do..but obviously the problem is .. cs.count++ doesn't do anything, because i'm modifying a copy, and not the real thing. What do I do to modify the contents of the real thing? (I realize other containers would be better suited for this, but I want to do it with a vector for other reasons) Thanks, ArchG
Advertisement
try change to

if ((*i).id == id)
{
(*i).count++;
}
_____________________Lecturer at Blekinge Institute of Technology
Use a reference.

CustomStruct& cs = *i;
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
my two pennies:

void update_word( int id, vector<CustomStruct> &v){	        //check every element in the vector starting at the beginning	for (int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++)	{		//check to see if it's the same id		if (v.id == id)		{			v.count++;		}        }}
the "i" retruns a renfernce to the object in the vector.
When you used "CustomStruct cs= *i;" you created a copy in "cs"
When using "cs.count++;" you were updating the copy and not the orginal

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Quote:Original post by SillyCow
the "i" retruns a renfernce to the object in the vector.
When you used "CustomStruct cs= *i;" you created a copy in "cs"
When using "cs.count++;" you were updating the copy and not the orginal

OP understood that and is looking for a work around.

Quote:Original post by rlyeh_

Ugh, no. That's taking a step backwards.

Quote:Original post by swecoder
try change to

if ((*i).id == id)
{
(*i).count++;
}

That would work, but is missing the point. Also, (*x).y, in generally, is more idiomatically written as x->y.

Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak
Use a reference.

CustomStruct& cs = *i;

We have a winner. This is a useful technique in general (although if you're using it to wrap up a chain of member access, it's a sign that the object is missing some member functionality).

But here's something else to consider:

#include <algorithm> // etc.void update_word(int id, vector<CustomStruct>& v) {	// The anonymous structure lets us define a kind of function which	// can have one of its arguments (the id) "bound":	struct {		int id;		void operator()(CustomStruct& cs) {			if (cs.id == id) {				cs.count++;			}		}	} updater = { id };	// And then we use a standard library algorithm to apply the function	// to every element of the container:	for_each(v.begin(), v.end(), updater);}
Unfortunately, I believe Zahlman's code has a problem. Template parameters have to have external linkage (Which sucks, but then so does a lot of C++) - so that isn't standard code.

For example, Microsoft's C++ compiler produces this error on that snippet (if compiled with language extensions disabled):
Quote:
error C2918: 'update_word::<unnamed-type-updater>' : illegal use of local type in template instantiation

Moving the struct out of the function isn't considerably more work:
struct Updater{	int id;	void operator()(CustomStruct& cs) const {		if (cs.id == id) {			cs.count++;		}	}};void update_word(int id, std::vector<CustomStruct>& v){	Updater updater = { id };	std::for_each(v.begin(), v.end(), updater);}
Quote:Original post by rip-off
Unfortunately, I believe Zahlman's code has a problem. Template parameters have to have external linkage (Which sucks, but then so does a lot of C++) - so that isn't standard code.

For example, Microsoft's C++ compiler produces this error on that snippet (if compiled with language extensions disabled):
Quote:
error C2918: 'update_word::<unnamed-type-updater>' : illegal use of local type in template instantiation

I don't normally write it anonymously. I thought I saw ToohrVyk do something like that before :\ But that must have been in an example without a template?

It's seriously a problem because the vector is a template instantation? Wow, that really does suck.
No, it's a problem because of the for_each(), which is templated on the local functor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement