Choosing University

Started by
11 comments, last by DrakeFG 15 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I'm an Italian boy and I'm 17. In two years time I'll finish my school and I'll go to university. So, now I'm choosing the right one...But I need opinions and help... My dream is to make games professionally...Here In Italy there are some IT Engineering Universities(I think abroad they call Computer Engineering). But I've seen there are many universities who give a BSc in Game Development like the Teeside University in UK. So what are your suggestions? Hope to read soon something useful Bye :)
Advertisement
Please give us your region, are you only interested in Italian schools? Also, what is your price range?

As for a degree, do not go for a "game development" degree. They are too specific, you may not always want to develop games and you may not get a great job for it (highly competitive, everyone wants to do that). Get a degree in computer engineering, you can get a game job with it, but you can also go to other areas if that does not work out. I would stay away from computer science, they teach theory and the way things "should" work. Computer engineering teaches application and the way things actually work.

In the end, jobs mainly look for experience. At least in the US, most jobs just want five years of experience, degrees are rarely mentioned. But I would still go for one for the security of it.

As far as American schools go, some of the best schools for computer engineering are:
Carnegie Mellon University (very expensive)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (extremely expensive)
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign (very cheap in comparison to the above two, it is where I intend on going next year)
Stanford University (unsure of price, probably high)
I would rather you disagree with me then accept everything I say. Think for yourself!
A general computer science program (data structures, algorithms, theory of computing) is sufficient for programming games. You might need some personal study to pickup 3d libraries, but they're just libraries. Relatively easy compared to comp sci topics. Plus you'll (generally) get a more well rounded background (which is useful for many game elements such as story, user interaction, design...).

And while it's good to go for your dreams, it's good to realize that food and shelter trump dreams every day of the week. At least in the States, general businesses tend to frown upon the game degrees. The general CS degree allows more options to you should food and shelter trump your dreams into a hobby rather than a living.
Thanks for replies! :)
I think I will go for a Computer engineering maybe here in Italy...I don't think to go in the Sates...they're too far...But uk or other european countries are also an option...
do you know any Computer engineering university wich treats also some game development?
Maybe I could get a standard computer engineering degree and then do a master in gamedev...
please give me your opinions and suggestions.
:)
Searching the forums, you can find tons of discussions on different universities, especially online ones (DeVry, Fullsail, etc). But I recommend you start by talking to your school and get some recommendations since they should know the local universities.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
I will search ;)
But any of you know if exists some university in wich you can do Computer Engineering but also do (in Computer Engineering's program) some Game development?
Quote:Original post by VillageIdiot
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign (very cheap in comparison to the above two, it is where I intend on going next year)

that is one of the places that i may end up going to grad school next year.

Follow Telastyn advice. It will be helpful in the long run. Before enrolling check out the course structure. If it includes data structures, algorithms, theory of computing you are on the right track.

Good Luck
Thank you very much...but I have another question! :lol:
VillageIdiot said that Computer Engineering is better than computer science(in italy I think it's called only IT and nod IT engineering) but Telastyn said to go for computer science...
So which is better?
I explained my logic. Most of it comes from advice from my boss (also a personal friend) who has had many years of experience as a programming manager.
I would rather you disagree with me then accept everything I say. Think for yourself!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement