MP3 encoding

Started by
3 comments, last by gph-gw 22 years, 10 months ago
Is there a way to take the output of a DirectSound microphone and encode it in mp3 on the fly, so the user can hear his mp3 without writing to the disk. I mean, you''ve got the data, and you call a function in a library like this: MPEG_OUT mpout = ConvertMpeg(&sound_data); PlayMpeg(mpout); Any sort of free library that does this? At max it''s a few seconds of data and if possible can it convert fairly quickly? Do I have to write my own implementation of mp3? (I hope not.)
Advertisement
First, it''d be an DirectSound input, i.e. a CaptureBuffer; second it doesn''t have to be a microphone (there''s a switch in the volume control to change over to the record buffer from the playback buffer), third no, a person cannot hear an mp3 - it needs to be converted from a mp3 into an audio strea, and sent out the playback buffer, fourth the microphone input already goes back out the playback buffer... the only reason to convert an audio stream into an mp3 is to store it (or perhaps send it over a network)

What exactly did you have in mind?

There''s a project called LAME that may be of some assistence...

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I was thinking exactly that. A person clicks the record button, records his voice or whatever, the prog converts it to mp3 on the fly, so he clicks play and it converts it back to audio. I also wanted network support to send the file immediately to another computer, like on a lan, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and use mp3. I want it on the fly because long recordings can really suck up the memory.
Kewl... where can I find the library that would encode x seconds of raw audio into x seconds of mp3? And how bad would the quality probably have to shrink down to if it has to be real time?

Any ideas? like where can I find a library like this?
Should I start at www.google.com?
like... where is LAME''s website?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement