I give in! XNA here I come

Started by
23 comments, last by Zaris 15 years, 7 months ago
You've got XNA along with the (now canceled) MDX, SlimDX, and a couple other .net based wrappers for DX.
-----------------------------------------------“The best, most affordable way to save the most lives and improve overall health is to increase the number of trained local, primary healthcare workers.”Learn how you can help at www.ghets.org
Advertisement
I can has sound! :D

Man I was tired of trying to play multiple sounds using VB.net without DirectX or some API. I like this XNA thing.
I've tried the Garage Games' Torque Game Engine(TGE) and I just couldn't go with it, the documentation doesn't deserve to be called documentation, the source code is C++ sphagetti code and for beginner like me, this just doesn't work out.At same time, I decided to switch to something more newbie-friendly, something like C#.I don't have time and will to bother with C++, maybe after time, but for indie stuff C# should do the work.

All what I need to know from you is what can you say me about TorqueX and XNA?
I've heard that XNA doesn't allow you to use their net code for indie and they don't publish games.

br
Quote:Original post by dMaze149

All what I need to know from you is what can you say me about TorqueX and XNA?
I've heard that XNA doesn't allow you to use their net code for indie and they don't publish games.

I tried out TorqueX a few months ago and I was quite underwhelmed. Documentation was poor, it was buggy, and the feature set wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. However the 3D stuff may have improved since then, and they're going to be offering of a 3D version of their game builder APP which is cool.

You can't use net code on PC, only on the 360. On the 360 you have access to pretty much all the LIVE functionality (game invites, matchmaking, etc.). On the PC you can just use whatever networking API you want, you're not restricted at all.

And yes, MS doesn't publish games. On the PC you're completely on your own, but you can do whatever you want. Using the framework doesn't place any restrictions on how you sell your game or anything like that. On the 360, unless you have a publisher your only choice is to put your game on the XNA Community Games service. Basically you submit your game for peer review, and if it passes you can sell it for $5, $10, or $15 bucks. You get 70% of those revenues, and MS keeps the rest.

I started XNA myself a few weeks ago, moving on from C++ and SDL, and im loving it :D It sems like thins just... work!

And thanks to this thread ive jsut discovered Nick Gravelyn's blog, and that tile map tutorial, and i know exactly where i will be spending alot of time over the next few weeks, this is definatly something ive been intereted in, and have about 10 different projects around here with various different attempts at tile engines and map editors, now i jsut need these damn huge videos to download so i can get started :D
Game development blog and portfolio: http://gamexcore.co.uk
I used C++ for programming games without graphics, then switched to Microsoft Popfly (Silverlight based online game creator.) Once I've done I few games on Popfly, I'll try XNA.

[Edited by - cj270608 on September 21, 2008 11:31:27 AM]
Quote:Original post by MJP

Looks like I will have to stick with garage games products, you get the tools and they publish the game for you, for free - but the price is that you have to screw around with bad documentation and spaghetti code, as mentioned before.

If I've choosen XNA only, I'd have to build a game engine myself, which is not really what I want.The truth is that I want to get a game engine ready to work with and to make changes to it by demand - I'm just trying to follow the concept of "Do what hasn't been done yet".Second problem would be publishing product at some other publisher.I don't know how would this end, propably with big fees and bad promotion, well one of the reasons why "garage games" again.And the market I'm currently interested in is PC-windows only.
Quote:Original post by MJP
You can't use net code on PC, only on the 360.
Not true. You can definitely use the XNA networking code on PC. You cannot, however, distribute a game using those libraries as they are not included in the XNA framework redist. However that does not mean you cannot use them at all. For instance it's a great way to test networking for your Xbox game as well (launch game on PC and Xbox and network between the two).

Quote:On the 360 you have access to pretty much all the LIVE functionality (game invites, matchmaking, etc.).
Note: Invites are new to 3.0 and therefore are not present in XNA GS 2.0. This does mean, almost ironically, that you cannot use them on the Xbox 360 as the XNA Game Studio 3.0 beta does not work on the Xbox 360.

Quote:Basically you submit your game for peer review, and if it passes you can sell it for $5, $10, or $15 bucks. You get 70% of those revenues, and MS keeps the rest.
Nope. It's 200, 400, or 800 points which, in US dollars, is $2.50, $5.00, and $10.00. Also worth noting they only allow you to charge the 200 price point if your game falls under 50MB compressed in the CCGAME package.

Edit: That last sentence is probably better read "If your game is over 50MB, you cannot charge 200 points."

[Edited by - NickGravelyn on September 19, 2008 8:15:06 PM]
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
Also worth noting they only allow you to charge the 200 price point if your game falls under 50MB compressed in the CCGAME package.

Should i be reading that as:

"if your game falls under 50mb you cant charge 400/800 ms points"

OR

"if your game is above 50mb you cant charge 200 ms points"

Game development blog and portfolio: http://gamexcore.co.uk
Quote:Original post by gameXcore
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
Also worth noting they only allow you to charge the 200 price point if your game falls under 50MB compressed in the CCGAME package.

Should i be reading that as:

"if your game falls under 50mb you cant charge 400/800 ms points"

OR

"if your game is above 50mb you cant charge 200 ms points"

The latter. You can charge 400/800 points for any game if you would like. If your game is above 50MB, you are no longer allowed to choose the 200 point price point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement