I give in! XNA here I come

Started by
23 comments, last by Zaris 15 years, 7 months ago
I have fooled around trying to develop games in VB.net for too long. I am tired of trying to learn C++. You all kindly suggested C# and XNA as a good integrated game development choice but I spurned you. Why? I don't know. Moose-headedness I guess. Well I just installed C# Express Edition and XNA 2.0 and HERE I GO! Thanks to everyone who tried to convince stubborn old me before.
Advertisement
Welcome to the Dark Side young Padawan!

Seriously, welcome and I too have recently made the switch from C++ to C# and XNA. I am currently working on port of a C++ console dungeon crawl into XNA

Good Luck and Good Coding!
Better to try and fail than to fail by not trying.
I concur, good choice! Also, with the XNA 3.0 beta now available, you can take advantage of the new features in C# 3.0 and VS 2008 if you like.

For some of the best XNA advice available, be sure to stop by Nick Gravelyn's website from time to time. Nick created my all-time favorite XNA tutorial (for tile mapping).

Gamedev also has an XNA forum area (currently mixed with the DirectX area).

Cheers,
Tim
GameDeveloperTools.comA comprehensive library of game development resources.
Welcome indeed! XNA Game Studio is a really great way to work on games. I switched to it during their second beta of version 1.0 and haven't looked back. It was so good I switched from OS X game dev to Windows/Xbox 360 just so I could use it. Hopefully it treats you as well.

Quote:Original post by TMichael
I concur, good choice! Also, with the XNA 3.0 beta now available, you can take advantage of the new features in C# 3.0 and VS 2008 if you like.
If this applies, keep in mind that the XNA GS 3.0 beta cannot deploy to the Xbox 360. If you want to work with the Xbox 360, you'll want to stick with XNA GS 2.0 until the final release of XNA GS 3.0.

Quote:For some of the best XNA advice available, be sure to stop by Nick Gravelyn's website from time to time. Nick created my all-time favorite XNA tutorial (for tile mapping).
:D

In addition, I'm starting a new series talking about things I've learned while working on my DreamBuildPlay game, so that might be some good reading for some.

Quote:Gamedev also has an XNA forum area (currently mixed with the DirectX area).
There's also the official XNA forums where a lot of us MVPs hang out. Even some of the XNA team posts there, so if you get stuck and don't get an answer here, feel free to post it over there. It's a pretty high traffic forum, but most questions generally get some response.
Thanks for all the positive advice! I just bought the books "Beginning XNA 2.0 Game Programming" and "Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Step By Step" and so far I am amazed at how much work XNA does for you. All that time I spent trying to learn C++ is paying off too, the first chapter of the C# book made total sense. All my time spend learning VB.net paid off too, since I now know the Visual Studio 2005 IDE pretty much inside out.

I'm going to use C# 2005 Express and XNA 2.0 for starters and once I've learned more I'll upgrade, probably when XNA 3.0 goes final.

I can't believe how much easier game programming is with C# and XNA than with VB.net or C++, both of which have their own, unique drawbacks to the beginner.
Quote:Original post by Theodore Fuhringer
I have fooled around trying to develop games in VB.net for too long. I am tired of trying to learn C++. You all kindly suggested C# and XNA as a good integrated game development choice but I spurned you. Why? I don't know. Moose-headedness I guess.

Well I just installed C# Express Edition and XNA 2.0 and HERE I GO!

Thanks to everyone who tried to convince stubborn old me before.

I did just make the same decision.
How do you feel about the change so far?

Quote:Original post by Basse85How do you feel about the change so far?

I am surprised at just how much work XNA does for you in terms of forming your windows application into a game framework. That's the worst, most unsatisfying part about windows game development, starting the windows form, initializing a graphics window... yeesh. Yet I clicked "Create New Project" and boom, there was everything I needed to get started. I can't wait to try out the sound stuff. XACT looks VERY interesting. So far, I am not disappointed.

You can skip XACT with 3.0, and just drop a wav into your content pipeline and play it directly.
What were you using with VB.NET prior to switching? I've been using the XNA libs from VB.NET with great success (other than some missing niceties like the pipeline and project templates). Used MDX before that.
-----------------------------------------------“The best, most affordable way to save the most lives and improve overall health is to increase the number of trained local, primary healthcare workers.”Learn how you can help at www.ghets.org
Quote:Original post by ItsDan
What were you using with VB.NET prior to switching? I've been using the XNA libs from VB.NET with great success (other than some missing niceties like the pipeline and project templates). Used MDX before that.

I wasn't. I got so frustrated trying to access DirectX from VB.net that I gave up. I didn't know you could use XNA from VB.net. Before that I spent some time using the outstanding TrueVision 3D Engine. Works in VB.net like a charm. But like all engines, it has limits. My crazy ideas need my own engines.

Man I feel like when you start working out after being sick, all sore and wimpy. My head hurts, lol. But in a good way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement