need some guides for beginners for a game im trying to make

Started by
3 comments, last by Thristle 15 years, 7 months ago
well i need to start working on my final year project and i decided to make a small game using XNA now the game is going to be a tower defense and the problem is that i only know how to draw 2D objects with the spritebatch and affect it using a pixel data array now i have no idea how to do these things make the enemies move across the pre set path identify when enemies are in the tower's range and "shoot them" knowing when the enemy is at the end of the path now im not asking for someone to keep checking the thread and help me step by step on his own... i just need help finding guides in those general areas (im still looking BTW) thanks
Advertisement
I am actually working on the same kind of game, it's like the next step in gamedesign.

My answers may not be correct, and the more advanced users in here will probably laugh at me, but ill be happy to give you my two cents.

Movement:
I use an array of waypoints and everytime I draw a frame I move the enemy towards the waypoint, if the enemy is at the waypoint (enemy.position == waypoint.position) I go to the next, or if there are none it triggers a pathdone event.

Shooting:
For every frame calculate how far it is to each enemy, take the closest and check how far the tower can shoot, if (bullet.length > enemy.distance) then create a bullet object that has a target.

I don't want to tell you everything in detail because that's what most developers like to discover for themselves, but if you need help let me know and I can help.

You might want to reduce the scope of your final project. Maybe make a 2D game rather than a 3D game.
Whether or not scope reduction is a possibility, you have to try to do the things you don't know how to do. Trial and error is an excellent methodology, when you have no other guide. Then you can post your effort here, and seek assistance with what went wrong with it (it's less daunting for others to help you when you've tried and failed than when you haven't even tried yet).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

maybe i didnt mention it but my project IS 2D

my problem is more that i have no clue what tools i can use and i have no idea about the theory behind the entire game design is (how textures are represented,vectors in programming,etc)

this is not the first tower defense im trying to make... problem is i used map editors for strategy games to make them. so i know exactly what i need to do i just dont know how can i do it
*bump*

well i started working on the game and i am having some problems

1.how can i measure the time? i tried using ElapsedRealTime and ElapsedGameTime but it does not give me logical results

2.to move textures around, is there any other way except drawing them with variables for vector locations?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement