Sign in to follow this  
Daaark

XNA GS 3.0 Beta is out

Quote:
XNA Blog wrote: XNA Game Studio 3.0 Beta is GO! from XNA Team Blog by XNABlog That's right! You can download it now! We'll be asking your help to put this baby through her paces as we lead up to the official release later this year. It is your input that makes us stronger, faster and better. Download XNA Game Studio 3.0 Beta at Launch Center If you do find any bugs or just have a suggestion on ways we can make XNA Game Studio 3.0 more awesome head over to Microsoft Connect to submit them to us. xxoo ~kathleen XNA Community Manager p.s. In case you missed Michael's post last week here is a list of the changes: Zune * Compatibility with the upcoming Zune 3.0 Firmware release. Please note that the XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP will no longer work once you have upgraded your Zune device to the 3.0 firmware. * Improved deployment stability. * Support for Zune deployment on Windows Vista x64 Systems! * You can now use the Remote Performance Monitor for Zune games. Xbox 360 * Xbox 360 project templates (You will not be able to develop on the Xbox 360 until our final release. We felt this was important to include so that you could get projects converted over and look at the system, even if you are not able to run the games, yet). * Support for the Big Button Pad. Framework & Visual Studio Features * Enumerate and play back media on your Windows computer or Xbox 360. * Simple sound effect support on Windows computers and Xbox 360. * Support for Rich Presence (lets friends know what’s going on in your game). * Support for Invites (ask your friends to join you in a multiplayer game) and Join Session In Progress (after you see what your friends are doing, you can join their current session with just a couple of button presses, even if that’s a different game to the one you are currently playing) * Compress your content and save space with the new content compression features! * ClickOnce packaging support for distributing your XNA Framework games on Windows. * Upgrade your project from XNA Game Studio 2.0 using the Project Upgrade Wizard! * Take screen captures of your game running on Zune through the XNA Game Studio Device Center. * Support for .NET language features like Linq * Create multiple content projects and leverage cross project synchronization in Visual Studio. * FBX importer improvements: read materials containing multiple textures, and export custom shader materials directly out of Max or Maya.
Clicky

Quote:
Original post by mpipe
welcome to three months ago
That was the Community Technology Preview release. This is the beta. It's a new release with new features that weren't in the CTP.

Quote:
Original post by Nypyren
It's a bummer that we're STILL not yet able to deploy to the 360, but at least being able to test whether our games compile is good.

Yeah, that's too bad. I'd switch over right now if that were the case.

I don't understand the upgrade instructions. I can't find the options they list.

Quote:
1.2.1. How To Upgrade Projects from XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP to XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta)

You will need to manually upgrade projects that were created with XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP in order to use them with XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta). The upgrade wizard for XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta) upgrades only XNA Game Studio 2.0 projects. To manually upgrade a project created in XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP, use the following procedure.

1. Right-click the project node for the XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP project and select Unload Project. The node will now be marked unavailable.
2. Right-click the project node again and select Edit <projectname>.csproj. If you are using Visual C# 2008 Express Edition, you will not be able to edit the .csproj file directly in the IDE. Instead, use an external editor such as notepad.exe.

In the XML editor, scroll down to the bottom of the .csproj file and locate the following three <Import.../> elements.

<Import Project="$(MSBuildBinPath)\Microsoft.CSharp.targets" />
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.Common.targets" />
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.NestedContent.targets" />

Replace these with the following two <Import.../> elements. Note that the first element is the same.

<Import Project="$(MSBuildBinPath)\Microsoft.CSharp.targets" />
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio\Microsoft.Xna.GameStudio.targets" />

4. Save the .csproj file.
5. Right-click the project node again. The project node will still be marked unavailable.
6. Select Reload Project .
7. Click Yes to close the editor.

Where is this project node? I assumed it was in the IDE in the solution explorer window where you have the main drop down node for your project? I guess not.

Their instructions are a bit odd. You can do exactly what they're suggesting by simply opening up your .csproj file in Notepad rather than mucking around with it in Visual Studio. Not sure why they prefer all those extra steps over just closing Visual Studio, editing the file, re-opening the project.

Quote:
Original post by NickGravelyn
Their instructions are a bit odd. You can do exactly what they're suggesting by simply opening up your .csproj file in Notepad rather than mucking around with it in Visual Studio. Not sure why they prefer all those extra steps over just closing Visual Studio, editing the file, re-opening the project.
Thanks. I'm back up and running again.

Quote:
Original post by dannielum
i just started to learn 2.0 for less than a week and now the 3.0 is out
There is nothing new to learn. 3.0 Just adds some new features.

Quote:
Original post by Daaark
Quote:
There is nothing new to learn. 3.0 Just adds some new features.

Yeah the 2 main things that are new from what I could gather is Zune support and official VS2008 support which I've been waiting for.

Quote:
Original post by Daaark
Quote:
There is nothing new to learn.

That would mean there's nothing to unlearn, but there are quite a few new things to learn about. :)

Here's one chart one of the MVPs made up of all the API changes. I also took some notes at Gamefest on the new things that are in there as well. You can see there is quite a bit. Lots of new Media capabilities as well as some new LIVE features such as game invites and a basic rich presence setting. Content is now compressed by default (no more watching your 20kb PNG files explode to 500kb+). Cross platform syncronization of projects (add a file to your Xbox project; automatically is added to the Windows version). They also put ClickOnce deployment support in there.

So nothing that will cause that 2.0 knowledge to go to waste, but there are definitely new things in there beyond Zune and Visual Studio 2008.

Nick, that's exactly what I said with a lot more words. :P The core API is mostly the same, just with extra stuff. (Anyways, Nick deserves to be rated way UP, he's the YODA of XNA, and he doesn't have the status here he deserves).

-----

Here's a more complete list from the docs

This topic describes new features and changes in Microsoft® XNA® Game Studio.
Changes to the Development Environment and Tools
Support for Visual Studio 2008 Products
XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta) installs and runs Visual C#® 2008 Express Edition, as well as the following Visual Studio® 2008 products:

Visual Studio 2008 Standard
Visual Studio 2008 Professional
Visual Studio 2008 Tools for the Microsoft Office System
Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition for Software Architects
Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition for Software Developers
Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition for Software Testers
Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition for Database Professionals
Visual Studio 2008 Team Suite
For more information, see the Required Software topic.

Support for Games for Zune
XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta) supports developing games that run on the Microsoft Zune digital media player. For more information, see Zune Programming Considerations and Connecting to Your Zune Device with XNA Game Studio.

Changes to the XNA Framework API
Graphics
Removed GraphicsDevice.SoftwareVertexProcessing Property property
Renamed TextureCube Class constructor parameter from edgeLength to size
Added Viewport.TitleSafeArea Property property
Added DisplayMode.TitleSafeArea Property property
Renamed a number of operator == and operator != parameters that were inconsistent between platforms. Some platforms had the arguments named l/r, while others spelled out left/right. We now use left/right consistently on all platforms. This affects the following types: GraphicsDeviceCapabilities.VertexShaderCaps Structure, GraphicsDeviceCapabilities.DeviceCaps Structure, DisplayModeCollection Structure, GraphicsAdapter Class, PresentationParameters Class.
Added four new Color Structure constructor overloads:
Color(float r, float g, float b)
Color(float r, floag g, float b, float a)
Color(Color rgb, byte a)
Color(Color rgb, float a)
Color.R, G, B, and A properties are now settable
Added Color.Lerp Method method
Math
Added MathHelper.WrapAngle Method method
Added Rectangle.Intersect Method method (two overloads: regular and by-ref)
Added Rectangle.Union Method method (two overloads: regular and by-ref)
Added Rectangle.IsEmpty Property property
Added Rectangle.Location Property property
Added Rectangle.Center Property property
Application Model
Added Game.ShowMissingRequirementMessage Method method. This is used to display an error message if there is no suitable graphics device or sound card.
Game.Content Property property is now settable
Fonts
Added overloads of SpriteBatch.DrawString Method (x3 versions) and SpriteFont.MeasureString Method (1 version) that take a StringBuilder argument, in addition to the existing ones that take a regular string.
SpriteFont.LineSpacing Property property is now settable
Added SpriteFont.Characters Property property
Added SpriteFont.DefaultCharacter Property property
Added FontDescription.DefaultCharacter Property property
Added optional DefaultCharacter element to the .spritefont XML schema
Added FontTextureProcessor.TextureFormat Property property
Content Pipeline
Renamed ContentProcessorContext.OutputPath property to OutputFilename
Added ContentProcessorContext.OutputDirectory Property property
Added ContentProcessorContext.IntermediateDirectory Property property
Added ContentWriter.Write Method (Color) method
Media API
XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta) includes a media library class, which enables you to access content in your media library.

Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media Namespace
SoundEffect API
XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta) makes it easier to generate sound effects with the SoundEffect classes.

SoundEffect Class
SoundEffectInstance Class
Rich Presence
Games can now control the online presence information that is displayed to other players when Xbox LIVE Community Games are played.

How to: Add Presence Information
GamerPresence Class
SignedInGamer.Presence Property
Game Invitations
Multiplayer game invitations are now supported across games and in-game via the Guide.

How to: Add Support for Game Invitations
ShowGameInvite
InviteAccepted
Networking Improvements
Dynamic Join-in-progress
XNA Game Studio 3.0 (Beta) introduces a change in the behavior of network sessions when local profiles sign in or out in the middle of a session. In previous versions of XNA Game Studio, a session would end whenever a player signed out. Now, profiles that sign out are removed from the session, and the session will only be ended if there are no suitable players left in the session.

When a profile signs in, it is automatically added to the session if the following conditions are true:

The number of local gamers that would be signed in is within the limit specified by the maxLocalGamers parameter that was supplied when the session was created using NetworkSession.Create
There are open public slots
The session is either in the lobby or has join-in-progress enabled
If a local profile signs in while the session is in gameplay and join-in-progress is not enabled, the profile will be added to the session the next time the session returns to the lobby. If a local profile signs in when there are not enough slots in the session, it will be added at such time as open slots become available.

New Methods
Added PacketWriter.Write Method (Color) overload
Added ReadColor method

-----

I'm going to be trying out the media stuff right now. I wonder if I have access to album covers or not? Guess I'll find out in a few minutes. Would be cool to pop up a 'now playing' notification window in the bottom corner with the album art.

Although, I've been asking around, and it doesn't seem like many people actually have a windows media library. They just seem to have unorganized mp3 dumps in some random folder. [lol]