Sign in to follow this  
Thanamos

Making lasers in top/down 2D game

This is a problem that has eluded me for some time now. I have been working lately on my own version og Desktop towers (www.handdrawngames.com). Now first, since this is the first game ever I am close to actually finishing, although it's still far far from beeing under public scrutiny yet. Currently the game is in 2D but I hope to make most of it a topdown 3D game, but first things first. But my current problem is making nice 2D lasers in the game, I would like the diffent towers to shoot lasers that actually look nice. I have tried drawing one and then just resizing it, but that just looked stupid, then I tried just drawing a set of lines which actually looked a little better but it wouldnt glow. I think the glowing thing is the problem, because I like my lasers to glow. The game VectorTD (http://www.candystand.com/play.do?id=18047) has got some beautiful lasers, but how to make them? Any ideas people? thanks in advance

The way I would do it is create a laser beam texture that tiles vertically, then put it on a rotated quad and make it tile to the height of the quad. I can't look at your link right now, but I am assuming you are going for Star Trek style lasers, where the beam goes all the way to the target instantly. There also Star Wars style lasers, where each time you shoot, the beam breaks off as a line segment and flies to the target.

Make sure to use additive blending mode for your laser texture so that it appears to glow. Additional laser effects that will make stuff nicer are the barrel flashes when the beam is fired, the sparks flying from the target when it's hit, smoke, burned decals, and detail in the beam itself (for example, a bunch of particles flying off the beam in random places or an electrical discharge going along the length of the beam and fading out).

I guess the starwars style is what im going for, nice short pulse of light that brightens up the area a little and some sparks when it hits. I like the idea of adding noise to the light to make it look alive.

And the word 'additive blending' is something I need to test more, because I think that is the thing here.

thanks for the great advice.