3D model in a simple model format

Started by
1 comment, last by johnstanp 15 years, 7 months ago
I want to test an algorithm( for constructing an obb tree ). Could someone give me a link to a site where I can donwload a complex model in a simple format( text one, not binary ). The PLY format seemed to be a good candidate, before I realize I didn't understand what the people who made available their data meant by different ranges of scanned data and the need to use transforms to put them in the same coordinate frame...
Advertisement
The videoscape .obj file format exported by Blender (www.blender.org) is very very simple but maybe too simple (only 1 mesh with position and vertex color, no uv, no materials).

If you want something more, i have made a library which load .an8 files from Anim8or (www.anim8or.com) (http://texel3d.free.fr/projets/liban8/)(ASCII files). It has a function to convert all meshes of an object to the same coordinate system.

You can also download .3ds/Wavefront .obj / .lwo files from a lot of web site and convert it to videoscape .obj with blender or .an8 with Anim8or. And you will also be able to modify it.
Quote:Original post by texel3d
The videoscape .obj file format exported by Blender (www.blender.org) is very very simple but maybe too simple (only 1 mesh with position and vertex color, no uv, no materials).

If you want something more, i have made a library which load .an8 files from Anim8or (www.anim8or.com) (http://texel3d.free.fr/projets/liban8/)(ASCII files). It has a function to convert all meshes of an object to the same coordinate system.

You can also download .3ds/Wavefront .obj / .lwo files from a lot of web site and convert it to videoscape .obj with blender or .an8 with Anim8or. And you will also be able to modify it.

Thank you...The .obj format will perfectly suit my needs, since I'm only interested in point data, not even color. Thanks for the link to your library: I'll need it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement