Sign in to follow this  

[web] php vs asp.net for a forum

This topic is 3372 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im currently working on a website using neither of those two languages. Im using Jaxer and its javascript api, however Im thinking of either switching to PHP & javascript or asp.net, as jaxer lacks a bit of support right now since its so new. My question however pertains to building a forum. There is obviously a lot of dynamic content used in building a forum, and im wondering if asp.net would have a huge advantage over php or not.

What is the OS of the server your forum going to be running on? If it's Windows, you can use PHP or ASP. If it's *nix, PHP is usually the only thing available. There are certain frameworks to allow ASP on *nix nowadays, but most are part of the premium packages hosts offer. I've never used the ASP api myself, so I can't comment on features or pros and cons, but if you look around at a lot of the popular existing forums today, vBulletin, SMF, phpBB, they are all done in PHP and are supported on Windows and *Nix servers as well as a few others. Just something to consider [wink]

ASP.NET and ADO.NET are available on *nix via Mono - in fact, that's one of its most successful applications.

ASP.NET is a more sophisticated technology platform than PHP. It supports elegant separation of presentation (markup) and logic (code), provides rich controls encapsulating a wide range of functionality, and sports a fairly clean, mostly logical API. PHP is a fascinating language, but its growth has been very unplanned and organic, resulting in no discernible method to its nomenclature madness.

Unless you have a specific reason to avoid it, I'd recommend ASP.NET as the superior alternative, especially if you're developing and deploying entirely within the Microsoft ecosystem (Windows Server, IIS, Visual Studio).

This topic is 3372 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.