[java] Why does JFrame go Null.

Started by
2 comments, last by natebuckley 15 years, 7 months ago
Hello, sorry about all the questions - I have checked google but have unfortunetly been unable to find a solution. I have the following code EmployeeManager class

public class EmployeeManager{
    public static void main(String[] args){
    	TheManager manager = new TheManager();
    }
}

TheManager class

public class TheManager{

protected MainFrame app;
	private LoginPanel loginScreen;
	private MainScreenPanel mainScreen;

public TheManager(){
		MainFrame app = new MainFrame("Employee Manager");
		loginScreen = new LoginPanel();
		mainScreen = new MainScreenPanel();
		app.add(loginScreen);
		app.setVisible(true);
		run();
	}

public void run(){
		//while(true){
		if (app==null){
			System.out.println("App is null");
		}
		else{
			System.out.println("App isn't null");
		}
		//}
		//app.add(mainScreen);
		//app.remove(loginScreen);
		//app.validate();
	}
}

Was having a problem where it kept crashing saying NullPointerException on the now commented out app.add(mainScreen). Do a test to see if the app was null and it was. Basically I want TheManager to eventually check the app for different states so if app.isLoggedIn() then display the mainScreen (which is a JPanel). P.S MainFrame extends JFrame Thanks once again for any help thrown my way, you don't need to give me a complete fix, to be hoenst I think I'm going about this solution in the wrong way and its illegal to use JFrames the way I am doing. Thanks! [Edited by - natebuckley on September 18, 2008 5:00:37 AM]
Advertisement
Hmmm

If I pass app to the method run then it works but I don't understand why it didn't before because MainFrame app's scope was (I thought) global within that object.

public class TheManager{		protected MainFrame app;	private LoginPanel loginScreen;	private MainScreenPanel mainScreen;		public TheManager(){		MainFrame app = new MainFrame("Employee Manager");		loginScreen = new LoginPanel();		mainScreen = new MainScreenPanel();		app.setContentPane(loginScreen);		app.setVisible(true);		run(app);	}		public void run(MainFrame app){		while (true){			if (app==null){				System.out.println("App is null");			}			else{				System.out.println("App isn't null");			}		}			}}
The local Mainframe app inside the initializer hides the class' Mainframe app member variable!

So, instead of
	public TheManager(){		MainFrame app = new MainFrame("Employee Manager");		loginScreen = new LoginPanel();		mainScreen = new MainScreenPanel();		app.add(loginScreen);		app.setVisible(true);		run();	}

use
	public TheManager(){		app = new MainFrame("Employee Manager");		loginScreen = new LoginPanel();		mainScreen = new MainScreenPanel();		app.add(loginScreen);		app.setVisible(true);		run();	}

Tipp: Ever if you mean a member variable, write this before it:
	public TheManager(){		this.app = new MainFrame("Employee Manager");		this.loginScreen = new LoginPanel();		this.mainScreen = new MainScreenPanel();		this.app.add(this.loginScreen);		this.app.setVisible(true);		run();	}

So the compiler is enabled to check your intentions better.

[Edited by - haegarr on September 18, 2008 10:04:31 AM]
Of course, foolish Nathan.

Thank you so much for the explanation also.

Cheers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement