Sign in to follow this  

Game Engine

This topic is 3376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for a game engine to use with C++ and DirectX. I would like something that has lots of examples and articles written about it so that I can learn quickly how to use it. Oh, I would also like for it to be free. I don't plan on spending money on an engine. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

I'd suggest looking for component libraries rather than an all-in-one engine solution.

Ogre3D for graphics, SDL for input, FMOD for audio, Newton for physics, RakNet for networking? Google around for libraries.

Ca3D, APOCALYX, and the Playground SDK all come to mind as fairly complete solutions with plenty of support and documentation. Of these three:

- Ca3D is free to use, but the source license is $325.
- The Playground SDK has been used for commercial projects (Diner Dash and others) and is completely free.
- APOCALYX also includes free source and advertises a complete game of its own (GUN-TACTYX).

The best solution for you will depend on your project requirements. I'd suggest test driving each one that seems to fit the bill.

TMichael said,

"Ca3D, APOCALYX, and the Playground SDK all come to mind as fairly complete solutions with plenty of support and documentation. Of these three:

- Ca3D is free to use, but the source license is $325.
- The Playground SDK has been used for commercial projects (Diner Dash and others) and is completely free.
- APOCALYX also includes free source and advertises a complete game of its own (GUN-TACTYX).

The best solution for you will depend on your project requirements. I'd suggest test driving each one that seems to fit the bill."

I tried all of these game engines (very quickly skimmed over them) and here's what I got.

Ca3D.) This really confused me... It seemed more like a game that you could modify than a game engine.

APOCALYX.) This one is better but everything is done is lua. I don't know it well and would like the body of the program to be in C++

Playground SDK.) This seemed to be the closest to what I wanted. I haven't looked into it enough yet though to figure out if it's what I want.

If anyone else has any ideas,
I am looking for an engine that:
1. uses C++
2. Simple and well documented

When I say game engine I am thinking about a bunch of classes and functions that
make life easier for me when I am making a game... Much like MFC is to windows. I don't really know the definition but, it seems that there is a wide variety of them.

This topic is 3376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.