Game Engine

Started by
11 comments, last by Eagle11 15 years, 7 months ago
I'm looking for a game engine to use with C++ and DirectX. I would like something that has lots of examples and articles written about it so that I can learn quickly how to use it. Oh, I would also like for it to be free. I don't plan on spending money on an engine. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Advertisement
I'd suggest looking for component libraries rather than an all-in-one engine solution.

Ogre3D for graphics, SDL for input, FMOD for audio, Newton for physics, RakNet for networking? Google around for libraries.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

I plan on using FMOD for sound and lua for scripting. I really am a beginner at game programing and I don't know what sort of stuff I need.
Have you looked at this list? You might find a reasonably complete solution somewhere there that fits your project. ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

You might have a look at my advanced search page as well. Leave Engine Cost at Free, Category at 3D, and check Lua under Language/Scripting. I found 15 possible graphic and game engines with these options.

Good luck!
GameDeveloperTools.comA comprehensive library of game development resources.
No, I hadn't seen that yet. Thanks for the link! Are there any that you would recommend in particular?
Ca3D, APOCALYX, and the Playground SDK all come to mind as fairly complete solutions with plenty of support and documentation. Of these three:

- Ca3D is free to use, but the source license is $325.
- The Playground SDK has been used for commercial projects (Diner Dash and others) and is completely free.
- APOCALYX also includes free source and advertises a complete game of its own (GUN-TACTYX).

The best solution for you will depend on your project requirements. I'd suggest test driving each one that seems to fit the bill.
GameDeveloperTools.comA comprehensive library of game development resources.
Cool, I'll defiantly try those out. Thanks!
Quote: original post by Eagle11
Cool, I'll defiantly try those out. Thanks!

Dude go with the flow man defiance is not the answer. Peace out brother. Lol sorry couldn't resist.
Check out my new blog: http://beefmachinegames.wordpress.com
lol! That's what happens when you don't pay attention to the spell checker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement