Direct3D 10 Samples Error

Started by
1 comment, last by beebs1 15 years, 7 months ago
Hiya, I've just downloaded the latest DirectX SDK and tried to run some of the D3D10 samples. I've run the provided binary copies, and also compiled them myself, but I'm getting a strange error. Would anyone be able to help? The DXUT framework seems to try to create a D3D 10.1 device first, and then D3D 10 if that fails. When it calls D3D10CreateDevice1() though, I get an unhandled exception. My graphics card doesn't only supports up to D3D10, and the samples work if I force it to try this first instead of 10.1. The strange thing is that looking at the call stack, the exception is being thrown from a frame called 'nvwgf2um.dll' - which looks like an nVidia file/driver of some type. I was wondering if this is a common/known problem to anyone? If not, I'll have to try and report a driver bug somehow... Thanks for any help! [smile]
Advertisement
Well D3D10CreateDevice1 is used in dx 10.1 and if that file is a part of nVidia drivers I presume you have a geforce graphics card, which doesn't support dx10.1 so you must you D3D10CreateDevice()
Thanks for your reply. I do have an Nvidia card.

You can create a basic D3D 10 device with D3D10CreateDevice1() though, by passing D3D10_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0 as the feature level. Surely the function should return a failure code if 10.1 isn't available, rather than crashing the driver?

Quote:Original post by n3Xus
so you must you D3D10CreateDevice()

That's how I would have done it as well - but DXUT calls the 10.1 function, without regard to whether it's creating a 10 or 10.1 device...

Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement