C++ and Collada

Started by
3 comments, last by RobTheBloke 15 years, 7 months ago
Hey all, Ok, so I need to be able to create 3d objects and import them into my program. I am using TrueSpace for 3D Modeling - which saves in a variety of formats. The one that I'm looking at right now is Collada. Does anyone here have experience with Collada files? How do I 3d Model into OpenGL/GLUT? Thank you, Ryan
Advertisement
COLLADA is a pretty complex format, and every modelling program seems to output a slightly different format of it :(

The Horde3D project (a OpenGL-based renderer) comes with a collada converter - it's open source so you could have a look at their implementation if you like.

There's also some other open source COLLADA projects, like FCollada, I'm not sure how portable it is though.
Thank you I'll look at that. Now - you said Collada is a pretty complex one. What format would you use for OpenGL/GLUT?
Quote:Original post by csuguy
What format would you use for OpenGL/GLUT?

why not try .3ds files...here is a good tutorial for reading it...

http://www.spacesimulator.net/tut4_3dsloader.html

Quote:Original post by csuguy
Thank you I'll look at that. Now - you said Collada is a pretty complex one. What format would you use for OpenGL/GLUT?

Not Collada, or any other format for that matter. Collada, FBX, XSI are all formats that are designed to be intermediate formats. So the idea is that you extract the data that you need, from say Collada, dump that into your own format and use that within your graphics app. You normally then have 2 apps - your game that uses your format, and a converter app that takes input from an intermediate format, and writes out your own format.

The libraries for the intermediate formats tend to be slow, and often times have a large memory and performance foot print that you'd want to avoid in your game engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement