Sign in to follow this  
csuguy

Importing 3D Objects

Hey all, I actually asked this in the Beginning Section but I realized this was a better place for it. Anyways, I'm working with TrueSpace - free 3D Modeling Software. It exports in a variety of 3d formats. I've never tried to import these models before so I am looking for the easiest way to do it. One file format I was looking at is collada - though someone said this was a fairly complex one to use. Anyways, please tell me an easy way to get the object read from the file and loaded as a 3d object that I can translate and rotate around. I don't need to mess with skeletons yet - but I am interested in details on that too. Ryan

I am in the same boat as you. I've looked up a lot of different importers, but usually they assume you already know everything there is to know about their importer (or that you enjoy reverse engineering libraries).

FCOLLADA and COLLADA DOM can import collada files, but I couldn't make sense of their (limited) documentation. Lib3ds is highly suggested by many different users all over the web, but again, it comes with 2 examples that don't really have much to do with using the 3ds files, just dumping them to new files... Lib3ds also has a tutorial floating around for a wrapper class (I'm sure someone will link you to it, as it's the only one I've ever seen mentioned after hours of google) but it uses functions that aren't defined. ASSIMP is another, more universal importer, but again, to use it you'd have to reverse engineer it.

If you have experience with 3D file formats, you'll be in a much better boat than I. If you're like me, and worry more about the engine side than the graphical side, well... hopefully someone else can clear this up. Hope these help, though. Finding them did take some time.

The best would be to role out your own format and write an export script for TrueSpace or whatever tool you use.
Or if you want, use 3DS, X, ASE (text format with lots of features), OBJ (worst format ever), milkshape