3D Gamestudio

Started by
0 comments, last by deadstar 15 years, 7 months ago
I have to post on this because it really bothers me. This is from a recent experience with the 3D Gamestudio published by Conitec. It seems that they purposely put the Adware.Rabio BHO (which is a Medium-Risk Browser Hijack Object) in their engine in the uninstall.exe program and then when questioned about it by myself (Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus wouldn't even let the software install) one of their employees on the forum said that they put it in there and that they had to do it, but the main office said they didn't do it and that I am imagining things. I only mention this because I believe people should be informed by software companies before we buy their product that the company is putting Spyware in their software and monitoring our machine(s). In the case of a multi-user license my system admin people will be scanning and cleaning for days. The real drag is we paid a lot of money to setup our development system and now we can't even install the updates that we paid for. Because it take so long to scan the large network we are building for Game Development it cuts seriously into our development time (wasting it). When our workstations are being scanned we have to send our staff home because we have to scan the entire network because we never know how pervasive it is.
Shon GaleCTO, Atomix Group LLC
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Shon Gale
It seems that they purposely put the Adware.Rabio BHO (which is a Medium-Risk Browser Hijack Object) in their engine in the uninstall.exe program and then when questioned about it by myself (Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus wouldn't even let the software install) one of their employees on the forum said that they put it in there and that they had to do it, but the main office said they didn't do it and that I am imagining things.

I've read, and re-read, the thread in question and it seems a few points have been missed.

The Uninstall.exe uses a packing algorithm typical of some spyware apps, and a few malware scanning tools are, quite understandably, showing it as a false positive. At no point could I find any reference to an employee saying it was put there on purpose.

I've run scans with AVG Free Edition 8, Spybot Search & Destroy, and the much-acclaimed HiJackThis since GameStudio has been installed, and nothing suspiscious was revealed.

It's a false positive. Add the Uninstall.exe to your spyware scanner's safe list, and send it to the manufacturer's dev team for testing (all good spyware tools have a button for this).

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement