Sign in to follow this  

open standard scene file.

This topic is 3375 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

does anyone know of any open standard scene file formats, I need a format to include things like lights, portals or any arbitrary objects(3d) you can think of and label it for a specific purpose? I was looking at the gtkRadiant .map format but this seems to be more specific to quake and after having no luck with gtkRadiant I decided to ask here. ?

COLLADA is an open standard format for 3D scenes. As far as I know it's mostly used to exchange content during 3D application development as its text format causes large file sizes. I don't know about portals though, and I have a feeling that you're rather looking for a game level file format?

Quote:

I don't know about portals though, and I have a feeling that you're rather looking for a game level file format?

yeh, but just a more general purpose level/scene, I don't wan't to have to build a level editor alongside my game, ideally something that lets you export 3d primitives under a certain user-defined class so that you can identify an objects specific purpose when parsing. for eg. (xml):

<entity type="3dpoint" class="spawn_point" location="0.0;0.0;0.0"/>
<entity type="3dpoint" class="point_light" location="0.0;1.0;0.0" radius="100"/>

where "spawn_point" and "point_light" would be recognized by your engine/game etc. and which you would have to specify in the level editor.

This topic is 3375 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.