How Easy should 'Easy' difficulty mode be ????

Started by
8 comments, last by Kest 15 years, 7 months ago
I was playing around with Crysis at a computer store recently and set the mode to 'easy' and playing some scenario noticed that the weapons seemed quite ineffective (unrealistic as per what real guns do to people when they are hit). Firing enough times to cut a man in half is not normally that required to kill him. Ive player around with Call of Duty 4 which seemed much more realistic weaponwise (even though the game is more like a shooting gallery). I would have expected in Crysis that the 'easy' mode be more deadly than real effects (like one shot hit knocks the opponent down). Easy should be for 'tourist' players who arent interested in realism nand want to get thru the game scenarios without too much trouble.
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Advertisement
Crysis easy is alot easier than CoD4 easy, I'd say (from playing some Crysis and the CoD4 demo). Sure, you have to take a few more shots to kill people with an assault rifle, but you also die a lot slower and have a lot more stuff at your disposal than in CoD4.

Weapons being more deadly doesn't make CoD4 easier, it makes it harder, since you die a lot faster.

On the subject of easy though, since most games have settings for all of the various parameters and just edit them for each level, why they cannot have lots of difficulty levels, and a custom where you get to decide for yourself, I have no idea.
Crysis easy probably just gives you more health/you take less damage. It has no effect on how many hits your enemies take before dying.

That was what ruined the game for me. As realistic looking the graphics were, the entire atmosphere was completely ruined for me when I saw enemies needed 10-15 bullets in the chest to die. It was ridiculous, considering if you grab them by the throat and throw they die immediately.

It's too bad they didn't have a realistic gameplay mode.
I think this comes down not just to damage mechanics but to level design. On easy it should be practically impossible to die on the first level. For a shooter the aim profiles should be so jinked that the enemy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn most of the time.

This way, you can be a FPS novice, stumble around like an idiot and give the game a chance to draw you in. Then later levels you can get your newbie but kicked.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Easy should be for 'tourist' players who arent interested in realism nand want to get thru the game scenarios without too much trouble.

I agree with this, there maybe many people inexperienced in certain games and have difficulties playing on even the moderate difficulties. Even though everything can be pretty much ran past in the easiest difficulty in most games, it makes it so that less skilled players can actually get through the game.

In easier difficulties, the aim of enemies should get worse and so should their tactics. The main problem I've noticed with inexperienced players is that they are not often to good with their movement. Making the enemies worse and having them hit consideraly less damage would give them a chance to take them out.
If your gonna go with easy they might as well go the whole hog. They and you could have loads of fun with this. You should be like the heroes in movies somehow always surviving. When your just about to die some strange guy flies out of nowhere and stops the bullet. Your nearly out of ammo and a heavily armoured truck is heading towards you, you fire of a few bullets at it knowing its useless, the truck explodes. I want to play a game thinking I'm a hero, or imagine that there's some hero stalking me, always out of my view, helping me when I really need it.
I think that the easiest difficulty level should be half tutorial. It should be easy enough that you are not under any pressure so you can try stuff out, like see how far you can throw a grenade and stuff. It should be close to impossible to loose. I like the idea of having early levels easy to draw people in, that's quite a good idea.
-thk123botworkstudio.blogspot.com - Shamelessly advertising my new developers blog ^^
I think game difficulty should scale something like this:

A player familiar with the genre will always be able to play the game one difficulty higher than an unfamiliar player, with the same level of success. An experience player could play at least two levels higher than an unfamiliar player with the same level of success, or one higher than a familiar player.

Very Easy: A player unfamiliar with the genre may fail few (~2 or less) times during the complete game.

Easy: A player unfamiliar with the genre may fail several (~3-5) times during the complete game.

Normal: A player unfamiliar with the genre may fail multiple (~6-10) times during the complete game.

Hard: A player unfamiliar with the genre will not be able to complete the game. A player familiar with the genre will fail multiple times during the complete game.

Very Hard: A player familiar with the genre will not be able to complete the game. A player experienced with the genre will fail multiple times during the complete game.

Essentially, anyone should be able to play on Easy and beat the game with little frustration or failure. It should be... easy. Normal difficulty will likely frustrate an unfamiliar player due to frequent failure. Etc...
My sister can't play most FPSs, even on easy. She's just not that good. I like playing them on hard. I don't mind dying even a 100 times, though I do get frustrated if the save points are too far apart and an easy part takes 20 minutes only for me to die on the hard part. Easy should be for my sister, who can't hardly get the gun pointing the right way. Hard should be for me, who likes to feel like I'm accomplishing something that's brag worthy. Normal should be for casual FPS gamers somewhere between those two extremes. You shouldn't have more options that that, though. Very Easy and Very Hard make for too many options. Though a custom difficulty sounds cool, too.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
I would like to see even higher difficulty settings than what's typically been available. Players that aren't skilled enough can improve their skills to play any difficulty. But it's impossible to do the opposite. Players that want more challenge than the highest setting can offer are forced to self-impose artificial limits on themselves.

I've never played a game that employed a difficulty setting that was too high. You'd think there would have been at least one. Surely, it isn't that bothersome to include one or two difficulties above what seems almost impossible? Especially considering that most games simply modify weapon damage and enemy health.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement