Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best video card for DX8 dev?

This topic is 6031 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After taking a break, I''m going back into the game-engine development biz (I know, I''m a masochist). Regardless, I believe I need a "newer" video card to be able to use all of the DX8 features.. but.. do I need a $350US+ GeForce3 or can I use a Radeon? Inquiring minds want to know... tia!

Go for a GeForce256 SGRAM since the newer GeForce2 cards are only about 2-5% faster, they are also under $150US and support almost all of the new features DirectX8 supports (except for H/W bump mapping).

Demo Download: www.angelfire.com/realm/zeroone

A Radeon 64mb DDR isn''t a bad choice either. They are reasonably priced and can beat a GeForce 2 GTS (but not by a huge amount). Either that or a GeForce 2 Ultra.

As far as I know the only card with *FULL* D3D8 support is the GeForce3. If you get a GeForce2 or a Radeon, though, as far as I know the only thing you won''t be able to use are pixel shaders, but you can always test those in the reference rasterizer.

Thanks for the info - I have a GeForce2 GTS in one machine already, I''ll grab a Radeon for the other and start saving up for a GeForce3 to put in the third one.. by the time I can afford one, the price will have come down!

dont buy a radeon, they dont have hardware support for any programmable shaders, and ATI's developer section is absent. nVidia's developer section is massive.

The absolute best card for game development is the Quadro DCC. This card is sexual chocolate, but unless you are loaded, i dont think you are going to want to spend $1,500 on a video card.

If you already have a geforce2 gts, you should be fine. It will hardware accelerate your 3d modeling programs, and vertex shaders.

Dont buy a geforce2 ultra, they are the same price as the geforce3 and they dont do pixel shaders.

My suggestion is to stay with your geforce2 gts, and buy a geforce3 when the price comes down.

Edited by - Psionic on June 12, 2001 10:37:11 AM

Just out of intrest how the hell is the Quadro DCC selling at $1,500 the best grapics card for games dev???? Surely you want to develop a game on hardware as close to that of your end users as posible. And your ordinary gamer is not going to be using some rediculsly expensive 3D graphics hardware for 3D artist''s.

The best card for development is the card your end users are most likely to have. A GeForce256 is a good start for for games aimed at hardcore gamers, since most hardcore gamers will have something at least as good as that. The only real advantages of the faster Geforces is that they are.... faster. As for the GeForce3, IMHO it is a little bit early to start developing for that - the card is *way* too expensive. It is the (currently) the only card that supports DX8 though, so if it is essential to do so then this is your only option (unless you are prepared to wait a bit for some competition to arrive). It is always worth testing stuff on older and lower end cards as well.

Any professional card like the Quadro is a complete waste of money for game development - the main advantage of these cards is rasterization quality, which is pretty much unneccessary for development work. Not only that, but the chances of any of your end users having one are pretty slim, so testing on it is pretty pointless.

When developing in d3d I should take the videocard with the latest functions en effects. The only vid at the moment with FULL hardware support for all the d3d8 effects is the GeForce3, this card is a wanna have for developers.

---------------------------
MasterBlaster(CodeFighters)
---------------------------

Well, my development cycle is 18-24 months so I expect that GeForce3-class cards will be midrange or less by then. I''m going to go ahead and start on the GeForce2 I have, but I''ve decided after further research to hold off on a new card until I can afford a GeForce3. This, I suppose, is the advantage of being able to concern myself more with what''s going to happen NEXT year as opposed to what''s happening THIS year! I''m sure in the next 18 months we''ll see all the DX8 features make it into mainstream cards so I can use the current "high end" as the target "baseline card". If I guess wrong.. oh well! But given the way things have happened in the past with feature sets I feel pretty safe.

Don''t forget about the Radeon 2 (which is probably going to be out around late November/early December). One of the hardware accelerated features is N-patches. It will probably also have full hardware support for all the DX8 features.

quote:
original post by Psionic
This card is sexual chocolate

ROFL

oh and Fumo: I think Scarab answered your question, but 18 months ago people would have said "What''s the point in developing for a Geforce when everyone has a Voodoo 2?". What seems like futuristic technology today will be bog standard tomorrow.

To Psionic: the NVidia developers site is an amazing resource - I''m still digging through the sample code and presentations. I''ll be in pretty good shape if my head doesn''t explode.. it''s worth buying a GeForce3 just to help support them... lol..!