Objects bigger than one tile...

Started by
19 comments, last by Martin Kaspar 22 years, 10 months ago
I''ve been using DrawPrimitive for a while and the biggest problem is overdraw. But I use tiles that don''t take up the entire cell and have foreground and background tiles. Large objects still don''t draw properly as a result.

Getting the orthogonal view took a quick change to d3dutil.cpp

Mouse mapping is no different than what you would use with regular ISO unless you allow the view to be user set.

The mouse routine I use doesn''t look at the screen really. It knows where the camera is located in the map array and shoots a ray down through the array at the view angle until it hits something. That''s where the user clicked. It can go through windows and doors that are open as well.

If I decided to adjust the view angle, I''d just have to refigure out the math for the ray. If I could generalize it, then I could allow a user changable view.

I think the best solution is full 3D using 3D tiles. I''m sure there''s a way to have more than one z value for a primitive (I mean on a per pixel basis) but I doubt it''s easy to use. 3D tiles (like Sim Theme Park) would eliminate that. It would also get rid of the math since you''re using pure X, Y and Z values instead of X,Y and Z values converted to X and Y values.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement