Converting a 3DMax quaternion to a OpenGL quaternion

Started by
2 comments, last by Kwizatz 15 years, 6 months ago
Please help me with this topic - i have already tried to exchange z/y axes, change rotation sign - nothing works...
Advertisement
If you're using the IGame / 3DXI interface, it has a conversion manager which might come in handy:

GameConversionManager * cm = GetConversionManager();cm->SetCoordSystem(IGameConversionManager::IGAME_D3D);

Take a look at the help file that comes with the Max SDK.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Thanks for a tip, but unfortunately i'm not using IGame / 3DXI interfaces...
Have you tried making no change at all?

There is no such thing as an OpenGL quaternion as far as I know, if you think you must do a conversion because you have to transpose matrices, you are wrong.

Quote:
Wikipedia

Note that quaternions, like any other rotation or linear transform, are not "handed" (as in left-handed vs right-handed). Handedness of a coordinate system comes from the interpretation of the numbers in physical space. No matter what the handedness convention, rotating the X vector 90 degrees around the Z vector will yield the Y vector -- the math and numbers are the same.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement