Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PortaLib world update callback et al.

This topic is 6023 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! this is a question to everyone, but i'd really appreciate Brett's answer (caus he is father of PL3D, after all . Here it is: if I, say, would want to write a demo, where my camera would rotate around a group of objects, i, obviously would need to update camera position from time to time and render the world according to the new position. Okay, i can do it in the drawScene function, but here's the trouble - if your PC can do 70 FPS your camera would rotate fast, if your PC is slow and does only 15 FPS, your camera would move quite slowly. Obviously, we need a way to have our updateWorld (or something like this) function to be called at a certain rate. At present time we have only one user-definable callback (drawScene). So, how do we solve it? Is it going to be solved in the upcoming (and looked forward to, at least by me) PL3D v0.2.0 ? Any suggestions ? Thanx. Dr. KiRR -------- Dr. KiRR's stuff is at http://www.geocities.com/drkirr Edited by - DrKiRR on June 12, 2001 5:32:48 AM

Been a bit slow on the new release - many apologies
A lot to do and so little time.

I think what you want is a timer...

Timer *pTimer = Timer::getNewTimer();
in your constructor
int lastUpdate = 0;

drawScene()
{
long time = pTimer->getTime();
if ( time - lastUpdate > 1000 )
{
update();
lastUpdate = time;
}
}

Updates once a second.

HTH!

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL

Yes, that''s something like i had in mind...
Actually, i asked cause i thought someone could come up
with something better (it''s not that this system is bad,
i just see several potential problems here).
BTW, by the time you answered, i have already implemented
something like it (sorry, Brett, i should have said that before) - i''m currently working on a simple mm.. "demo"
called "Day & Night".
Soon to be released...