Started by
30 comments, last by Bruno 22 years, 10 months ago
Well your demo ran perfectly on my machine:

WinME
Athlon 800
GeForce DDR
128MB RAM
SBLive!

The walking is definitely too slow. The lighting/blending effects in the building with the mirror in are nice. I couldn''t climb the stairs at the side. The guy walking around in there was half in the floor, and there was no collision detection on him. The portal mirror reflected him perfectly, but if you looked down at the bottom of the mirror, there were some flickering (probably coplanar) triangles at the bottom. Not too noticeably though. The LOD on the terrain was a bit wierd, like it would change the actual shape of the landscape rather than just the tesselation, and sometimes it would change it with you very close, which looked kinda wrong, with bumps appearing right in front of you .

In the main building, walking along was very bumpy, and collision on the pillars was not right. It did detect it, but only once you were inside the pillar.

A problem with your portal engine: When I stood outside the main door and looked up through the hole in the ceiling in the next room, i couldn''t see the sky, but as soon as i walked a bit closer, the sky suddenly appeared!!! A similar thing happened with the main doorway looking outside from inside, a wee distance from the doorway and all youd see is grey fog and a bit of sky, but when you went closer to the door, the whole landscape would suddenly just appear!!

Being able to climb the almost vertical cliff face was nice!!

At 1024x768x16 I got a pretty much constant 42FPS execpt looking in the mirror which got 28. In some areas it would shoot up to 85FPS but not for any obvious reason. The wierd thing is that even if i put the res way down it wouldn''t record much of an increase in frame rate.

The gun sort of wobbles around everywhere, but it looks cool!!

You guys have done an awesome job of this. keep up the good work

FatalXC
Advertisement
Ok here is your solution to why it ain''t working on Win2k machines, at least I hope anyway. Maybe I''m wrong but if you use WNDCLASSEX or anything in the Win32 API which has an EX it doesn''t work under 2k( assuming NT 4.0 as well). I got that error that somebody else had listed below by using structures which had an EX on the end under 2k. So if you are using WNDCLASSEX try changing it to WNDCLASS and see what happens. And do the same for any other EX ending structure. Also note the functions which go along with these structures such as,

RegisterClassEx();

should be

RegisterClass();

ok try that out
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement