Would you consider Thief II an RPG?

Started by
13 comments, last by Carnivorous Duck 22 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Wavinator

It's interesting to see at what point a cRPG crosses the line and becomes a simulator. Thief to me was almost a "Thief Simulator," which was really cool. It didn't have the freedom that I've come to expect in a cRPG, but it certainly put you in a role.

The way I thought of it, it does give put you in the role, but gives you the option to ignore the role somewhat. It just punishes you for not acting like a Thief. You're free to run around like a madman slashing at everything you see but you won't live long. It rewards thinking like a thief.

I guess it doesn't offer as much physical freedom in the form of exploration as most RPGs but I think still don't find that the most crucial part of an RPG...although that's just me of course

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on June 12, 2001 3:24:56 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
I'm not old. Just chronologically challenged

I don't mean to bash the people who bring these things up again, especially when they're new to the forums and didn't really have the benefit of being there for all the past discussion. It just can get a bit tedious sometimes to feel that it's going round and round in circles.

And I love Thief, btw. So it's not like I just dislike the game. It's one of my favourites, ranking alongside Laser Squad, Doom, and Ultima VII

Edited by - Kylotan on June 12, 2001 8:02:33 PM
To say the truth, Thief II is a Stealth FPS( First Person Shooter ). It didn''t even come close to an RPG. An RPG will, in MOST cases, have a character with stats that can be incremented depending on your actions and behaviors...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote:Original post by Kylotan
ranking alongside Laser Squad

You''ve played Laser Squad??? You actually KNOW that game? Man, I HAVE to do a remake of that game, it was just too excellent. (I remember doing that multiplayer on a Commodore 64).

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by MadKeithV

You've played Laser Squad??? You actually KNOW that game? Man, I HAVE to do a remake of that game, it was just too excellent. (I remember doing that multiplayer on a Commodore 64).

Heh. I didn't just play Laser Squad, I lived Laser Squad. There was nothing better back then. A lot of people don't know that the X-COM and UFO games were essentially Laser Squad sequels.

If you or anyone else cares, these games were made by Mythos, who apparently went out of business fairly recently due to apparently being treated pretty poorly by their publishers. But the team have resurfaced as CoDo Games and appear to be working on another Laser Squad game! They seem to be sticking with turn-based, but making it playable on a lot more platforms, with a global league system of some sort. Similar to play-by-email technology, apparently. Looks interesting.

Anyway. If anyone wanted to work on a Laser Squad style game, I'd certainly be interested in such a project

(PS. Anyone wanting Laser Squad for the PC can get it here, with full permission of the authors.)

Edited by - Kylotan on June 13, 2001 12:46:45 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement