Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Landscapes

This topic is 6026 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m rather new to OpenGL, but I''ve managed to load obj modelles and put lightning and textures thanks to the NeHe tuts. My problem now is tha I''d like to have a large terrain ( say bout 5 square kilometers). I''ve thought about heightmaps but they can not have caves and likes ( as far as i can understand). The terrain scenarios will be both city (a la Blade Runner & hills or mountains, perhaps even a seaside). You guys have any clue how to solve this? Maybe even have a good way to store it into both asci and binary files.

You could try having 2 heightmaps, one greyscale heightmap for the terrain, and an rgb heightmap for caves (using say the red component for the cave floor/lower walls, and the green component for the ceiling/upper walls.

Hi

Seeing as a heightmap is created using images couldn't you just use a paint program for a map editor?

Use bmp or raw as the file format.

Edited by - Lukerd on June 12, 2001 10:06:22 AM

I would definitely store building and road models separately and add them to the scene after drawing the terrain. First, you would need an extremely fine terrain mesh to produce good building geometry if the buildings were included with the terrain, and secondly you probably don''t want to draw all the building on the map anyway (for performance reasons). Good luck!

I think it would be best just to store the locations of the models in the terrain file.

The models will be in other files.

I''m jus tlooking for a good way to store/edit terrain data and optionally have room for the placements of buildings and rivers.

The terrain must (as said earlier) be able to have caves or similiar alterations directly in the terrain

well i''ve been busy with that dilemma to. first i thought layerd landscapes could be used. but that sucks in usage (imho). then i turned to voxels and found that my memory requirements for the detail level i wanted soon exceeded gigabytes of memory for a small place (argh). i''m currently working on Constructive Solid Geometry using this to create large parts of landscape with minimal data and still add caves and large structures. all small things will still be loose objects. using this i might be able to decimate my memory requirements several times but doing some boolean math with objects is quite the hassle! (ie i need to upgrade to a 1.4gh athlon soon) one added bonus is that lod can be easily incorporated and detail can be at nearly any level (millimeters to kilometres) which makes it outdeal for out and inside hybrid engines!