Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lazy, just plain lazy

This topic is 6031 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I remember doing 3d co-ordinate geometry years ago at school, but I can''t for the life of me remember how to work out the point of intersection between a line and a plane if the plane is defined by three vertices. You guessed it, I need to do accurate hit-detection on a polygon. Just thought I might excite someone by wording it slightly differently :-) Anyone close to the ground? I have plenty of talent and vision, I just don''''t give a damn.

This is the way I do it:

bool LineIntersectTriangle(D3DXVECTOR3 *pLineStart, D3DXVECTOR3 *pLineDirection, D3DXVECTOR3 *pTriPoint0, D3DXVECTOR3 *pTriPoint1, D3DXVECTOR3 *pTriPoint2)
{
D3DXVECTOR3 Edge1, Edge2, tVector, pVector, qVector;
float Determinant, InvDeterminant, t, u, v;

Edge1=*pTriPoint1-*pTriPoint0; // Find vectors for two edges sharing pTriPoint0.

Edge2=*pTriPoint2-*pTriPoint0;

D3DXVec3Cross(&pVector, pLineDirection, &Edge2); // Begin calculating determinant - also used to calculate U parameter.

Determinant=D3DXVec3Dot(&Edge1, &pVector);

if(Determinant<EPSILON) return(false); // No intersection with plane of triangle (with culling), return false.

tVector=*pLineStart-*pTriPoint0; // Calculate the distance from TriPoint0 to line start.

u=D3DXVec3Dot(&tVector, &pVector); // Calculate U.

if(u<0.0f || u>Determinant) return(false); // Test U. No intersection, return false.

D3DXVec3Cross(&qVector, &tVector, &Edge1); // Prepare to test V.

v=D3DXVec3Dot(pLineDirection, &qVector); // Calculate V.

if(v<0.0f || (u+v)>Determinant) return(false); // No intersection, return false.

// If we get to this point, the RAY intersects the triangle. Note I wrote ray and not line.

t=D3DXVec3Dot(&Edge2, &qVector);
InvDeterminant=1.0f/Determinant;
t*=InvDeterminant;

if(t>=1.0f) return(false); // t has to be 1 or greater for the line to intersect the triangle.

*pLineDirection=(*pLineDirection)*t; // Truncate line direction to the intersection point.

return(true);
}

For some reason, most of the formatting of the above code seems to have disappeared. Anyway, hope it helps.

Edited by - justin nixon on June 12, 2001 1:41:40 PM

Thanks a mil Justine. That was considerably easier than wading through my old text books... I got as far as ''Line intersects plane'' when you replied. You have saved me so much time

Cheers,

I have plenty of talent and vision, I just don''''t give a damn.