Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectInput problems in DirectX8

This topic is 6033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright, I have a question. I''m using DirectX8 with Visual Studio 6. I''ve been having a problem with the DirectInputCreate function. When I compile the program, I get "DirectInputCreate - unknown identifier." However, I have included the dinput.h in the top of my program, as well as adding dinput.lib into my project''s link settings. My theory is that because I''m using DirectX 8, I have to use the new DirectInput8Create function. But I want to be absolutely sure since the new input function takes different parameters, and DirectX is supposedly backwards compatible. Has anyone else had problems using the older DirectInput functions in DX8? BTW, I have no problem using the new function, but I''m just wondering if I have to or if it''s a mess up on my part.

I had the exact same problem. What you need to do is place the following line BEFORE you include dinput.h

# define DIRECTINPUT_VERSION 0x0700

This will give you all of the Direct7 and earlier functions, otherwise, yes you have to use DirectInput8Create.

Kevin

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://dainteractive.mayday-anime.com