[java] Source Control

Started by
3 comments, last by Wrathnut 22 years, 10 months ago
I have a question not quite related to java game programming directly but here it goes... Does anybody know of a good Source Control program besides visual source safe? Right now price really isn''t a question so if you guys, or ladies know of a good program you use at work or on your own I''d love to hear about it please. Thanks Andy. BTW I will try and post a link tonight to my new game demo. I need to fix a bug or I''d be posting it now! War doesn''t determine who is right, war determines who is left.
Advertisement
Well, VisualAge has versionning integrated in it... but then again, it''s only for java
CVS
www.cvshome.org

It''s a great piece of software and if you get one of the GUI''s for the client side it''s fantastic. We use a linux server with CVS and GNATS (for bug reporting) and for our checkin/checkout/etc we use WinCVS to interact with the server. If security is an issue (as it should be for everybody), when doing remote checkin''s you can use SSH tunneling. Basically you ssh to the CVS server with a program that allows tunneling, and then when you use CVS you perform all of you operations to localhost and they will be forwareded to the currently connected machine. Best of luck
~S''Greth
"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."~Bruce Feirstein
Take a look at Perforce.

http://www.perforce.com
Personally, I like StarTeam, mostly because it integrates defect tracking and source code control into one application. You can even link modified source files to a particular defect, too, but I''ve never seen that implemented. It branches and marges source trees way better than SourceSafe, in my opinion. I''ve only used the Windows client, but I know they have a web-based version, and a command line interface.

As for the Perforce recommendation, I''ve read nothing but good things about it, but some departments where I work use it, and it is much-despised. I''ve not got much more to go on than that, so research carefully.

Good luck!

Informis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement