Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX8 features left out? hmm..

This topic is 6030 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There is one major feature of DirectX 8 that I haven''t seen any mention of. This effect is Multi-Sample rendering. Multi-sample rendering is where multiple images are rendered to separate frame buffers, combined and processed in a way of the software developer''s choosing, then rendered to the screen. You can use multi-sample rendering to do full-scene anti-aliasing, motion blur, depth of field and soft shadows and reflections. This stage can also be programmed to do a variety of other effects. A good example of Multi-Sample rendering being used is in the 3DMark2001 demo where there is a blurry image of a 3D object super-imposed on another 3D background, and also the quasi-gausian blured cubes. The effect is quite breathtaking and would rock in PR games. Is this a possibility? -Rich

Hi Rich,

If I remeber well my readings about dx8, it seems that these effects are provided by the pixel shader system.

Everything mentionned in your message is at least doable by the pixel shader and, I may be wrong, but it seems that the way the multi sample process works is the same as the pixel shader.

Amadrias
France

Well, from what I read, this specific "Multi-sample" thing is .besides. pixel shaders. For example, Multi-sample rendering can do those effects on a card that doesn''t support pixel shaders in hardware (the GF3 is the only card that does pixel shaders, right? and not everyone has a GF3).

And you can use this multisample stuff to do things like fading one screen to another in realtime (even when the scene is changing).. and other stuff.

I think multi-sampling should be in PR. It would make my life a lot easier, thats for sure .

-Rich

I mean.. it doesn''t require any special hardware.. thats what I meant. Like drawing a cube on the screen doesn''t require a Radeon.. it just faster because you have a nice card. Sometimes the words in my brain don''t come out of my fingers right.

-Rich