• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oprea Sergiu

OpenGL Opengl or Directx for 3d shooter?(easiest,fastest)?

This topic is 6222 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Whitch should i use? i don''t really have much programming experience, but i work a lot with 3d design programs(3dsmax) and i''m just wondering witch should i learn first and why? i heard that opengl is much easier. I''m planning on learning both, in time of course, but witch should i learn first?

Advertisement
I suddenly seem to be understanding 3d and OpenGL alot lately , but I dont think its wise to first learn how to work in a 3d world. You seem a little to happy golucky expecting to just make a "3d shooter". You should first learn the basics; Pick up Tricks of the windows game programming guru -- which will teach you DirectX and programming under Windows. Then after youve read that, learn both OpenGL and Direct3D. I know really all of the parts of DirectX (except DirectShow), and Id say I really prefer OpenGL for rendering my 3d graphics over Direct3D. Its easier to set up, I get results quicker, etc... (Babbling) My point is you should learn both, you should pick up OpenGL SuperBible after youve read the Windows game prog. book. And definitley definitley ... read NEHE''S TUTORIALS; they are amazing. And after you learn something cool, turn it into a game. Good luck. (that was a rather peaceful post for a directx vs. opengl conversation eh?) ALSO SEARCH THE SEARCH ENGINE FOR THE OTHER THOUSAND POSTS ON DX VS. OGL.

Tryforfulluse is right about not being able to just make a 3D engine out of nowhere. Go here for OpenGL vs. Direct3D. Neither is truly faster, it all matters on your hardware, not really on the API itself. Use OpenGL if you want to port your game, otherwise, take a look at the code of each, and see which fits your style more.

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/ (If my website isn''t down, it''s a miracle!)

I started studying graphic programming about two years ago with Direct x.
A frustating experience.
Then I purchased "Opengl Superbible" , a great book( the new "Opengl game programming " is even better)
In about 3 months time I grasped the basic concepts of graphic programming.
I do not argue that Direct x 8.0 is a great API, but leave it to professional people.
If you do not have so much experience,do not think twice, go for Opengl.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!