OGL Game Programming Tuts

Started by
17 comments, last by mittens 22 years, 10 months ago
I LOVE THAT LINEUP!!

Stick with it! NPR will be cool to learn.
nice tutorial so far. looking foward to more
Advertisement
Thanks for all of the feedback. Sorry for the delay with getting the next tutorials up, I am having computer situations right now. I *WILL* have a computer again, at the latest, a week from monday. I just shipped out my old processor to AMD, so the processor could arrive before then. So, just hold on a bit longer!

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games (I had to make one up, to fit in with the rest of you )
Project: Writing tutorials and code for my OpenGL Game Programming series
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
Anonymous Poster: "Oook, I might be missing the point but inheritance, polymorphism, virtual functions, abstraction. Ring any bells? I *far* prefer classes for most objects but obviously the more stripped down structs are good for bsp nodes and other things that can easily be stored in a file or read from a file with a single call to fread or fwrite."

Yeah, I''ve read up on that, and goodie. My point was this sort of thing...Take, for example Quake. You could do Quake using structs, or you could do Quake using classes, and end up with the exact same game. Now, that fact that you can end up with the same product proves that either works just as well as the other. I far prefer structs because they are simpler, and I always thought simplicity was prime in programming. They certainly look a lot cleaner...No ~s or ::s and whatnot, only .s, which are pretty simple. I understand that, they way C++ works things, structs are classes with all public members...So then, things aren''t even all that different to begin with.

Shining, well, I''m just hoping that you don''t make things too classy...Maybe you could put in a little note for how to go about replacing things with structs? I''d really appreciate it. {: )

I also wanted to say, everybody, making a complete game is not something one should try too early. A number of tutorials should lead up to it. Also, FPSs are way too complex and advanced for a tutorial, believe me. Shining, I think it would be cool if you eventually worked up to something like Mario64, hehe...

Also, maybe I''m just out of it, but...What does NPR stand for?

- Bucket

- Hai, watashi no chichi no kuruma ga oishikatta desu!
...or, in other words, "Yes, my dad''s car was deliscious!"
- Hai, watashi no chichi no kuruma ga oishikatta desu!...or, in other words, "Yes, my dad's car was delicious!"
NPR= Non Photorealistic Rendering (eg cartoon rendering)

I agree with bucket_head (is that a reference to the guitar player?) that classes aren''t the hottest thing sinced sliced bread. Also, I would like to note that the current tutorial, although a great one, may abstract the more inner workings a little bit too much. BTW, maybe you could drop the vector/matrices tut, there are plenty of those on the web, and lets get our hands dirty in the more interesting stuff)

Just some thoughts, keep up the good work.
1. bsp trees, octrees
2. collision detection
3. 3D math
4. newtonian physics
5. basic game framework / app design (most tutorials are coded rather poorly, and for a beginning programmer it''s best to show them how to structure their projects from the conceptual stages to the finish)
6. terrain engines (roam, voxel, etc)
7. indoor/outdoor engine design
8. how to make a model with 36DD breasts come home with you after karaoke...um wait that''s a different site altogether sorry
Yippee NPR!
Cartoon rendering in my view allows you to make a fun game of any kind without worrying about realisim or detail. But just my view
Otherwise, I''d really like the tutorials on terrain. But also something much more advanced: Various ways to do clouds and maybe quick simulation of fluids? (Water is unrealistic in most games today)
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
How ''bout NPR terrain?
how about weather effects. snow/rain/fog[fog is esay though]

maybe clouds/clouds that cast a shadow?!? a sky with a sun? just rambling on what would be cool.

natural looking water/rivers/waterfall? not photorealistic. but it looks natural.

thats my 2 cents. looking foward to see more tuts.
I am thinking about what would make some kewl water effects right now, I am either going to do a two triangle quad water with a bump mapped texture, or lotsa triangles so I can make some realistic ripple effects. (Most likely, I am going to go with teh ladder).

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement