OGL Game Programming Tuts

Started by
17 comments, last by mittens 22 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone, are there any specific topics that you would like to see me talk about in my OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials? I have a lot of great ideas as it is, but since the tuts are all for you guys anyway, I thought I''d check to see what YOU would like to read about. Thanks a lot! And, sorry about the delay in getting the next few tuts up, my computer croaked on me 2 weeks ago, and is taking forever to get fixed. Looks like my brand new AMD 1ghz processor fried, and I need a new one (thank gawd it was under warranty), so hopefully I can get a new one soon. ------------------------------ Trent (ShiningKnight) E-mail me ShiningKnight Games (I had to make one up, to fit in with the rest of you ) Project: Writing tutorials and code for my OpenGL Game Programming series OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
Advertisement
Cool, a free-for-all tutorial suggestion session. Erm, I think nearly all of the tutorials I have ever read [and even some books] have looked at the `bigger picture` and neglected small details and individual functions. These functions are the integral once, like glOrtho and gluPerspective and stuff. Also, I think it is annoying that few tutorials actually explain how to encapsulate the initialization and set-up of OGL into a C++ class. I had to do this myself, which granted wasn''t too hard, but it could be invaluable for some. Finally, I think that you should probably have a purpose for the tutorials, rather than just say `right, this does this, and this does this and this, surprisingly enough, does this`. Instead, maybe, you could make a small game as a final ode to the tutorials, like a 2d platformer or isometric/top-down game, nowt too flashy but something that incorporates everything covered so far (and a little bit more?)

My 2 pence,
abg
I know I would like to learn how to make my own engine but one problem I have is that you say your tutorials will be using glut but that will limit the power of the apps we make. We should use straight open gl like the graphics tutorials. Also I dont understand scale like when I make a 3d object in 3d studio max and then put it in the game how do I know its the same size or to scale with the other objects?? I just make my models any size when drawing but how to make them all the same size i do not know. If you could also go over loading 3ds models, animation and lighting.

and most importantly making and loading a 3d world and how to contain its info in a tree or data structure, when best to use each type ect. And compiling your code, and making an installer for youyr game and making the other files inaccesible to someone who has installed it ect. ect.

Thanks in advance for all the help
Nooooo, the GLUT is bad (for me at least, don''t flame me on that), and I don''t plan to ever use it. In my tutorials I plan to make, and describe several games! I plan to have one ''normal'' game which will be around lesson 9 or 10, and maybe a complete game using Non Photorealistic Rendering (games like Jet Grind Radio used it). Next, as you may have seen in the first tutorial, will start out with a simple wrapper, and will slowly evolve into a fairly complex engine (and the reader will be taken through nearly every step to get it that far). Also, I plan to have several tutorials that will be PURELY theory on something or other, then the tutorial after that will explain how to implement it using OpenGL. That should eliminate the "do this to get this" stuff. Every game that will be made will be completely 3D though. There are a lot of references on the web for doing 2D stuff, and iso stuff, but not very many describing the complexities of 3D games, so that is one thing I wanted to make sure that I did.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games (I had to make one up, to fit in with the rest of you )
Project: Writing tutorials and code for my OpenGL Game Programming series
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
I''d like to see a lot of tutorials on physics simulations, things like mass-and-spring systems, soft body and rigid body physical simulation, dynamics and kinematics...I''ve read a little bit up on the theory, but I''d like to see some step-by-step tutorials on the subject(s) explaining everything...And I''m also very interested in seeing how to simulate such things on a frame rate independent basis.

3D Model management is also a big, important topic that I''d like to see covered, including how to load several different types, discussions of theory as to what''s important to be stored in a 3D model file, a good way to design your own format, and so on.

3D sound would be a cool topic to cover...I''d like to see (hear) that, heh.

It could also be interesting to go in depth on some game design theory, although this is very, very subjective, and is likely to go in a direction that''s anything but practical unless you keep to simple, tried and true things...which ideally everyone already knows...but it probably wouldn''t hurt to go over them anyway.

When you get later on, engine examinations would be really neato...Like heightfields, BSPs, portal engines, octrees and quadtrees...I also like the sort of thing where they show you the brute force method, and then show you ways to optimize...That sort of format would be very good, I believe.

One other thing though, I have a request...Is it possible that you make a copy of each project without use of classes, but instead using structs? I personally find classes somewhat distasteful, and I haven''t come across anything that couldn''t be done by use of a struct...I like their simplicity, their efficiency, and so on. Classes just always seemed a bit too bogged down for my taste, I think...I suppose maybe I should conform one of these days become more ''classy'' myself, though I''m apprehensive at the idea. Just if you would, I''d really appreciate it. If not, I guess I can look at your code and try to figure out how to do it using structs, heh...

Looking forward to more of your tutorials, I''m sure I''ll learn a lot from ''em.

- Bucket

- Hai, watashi no chichi no kuruma ga oishikatta desu!
...or, in other words, "Yes, my dad''s car was deliscious!"
- Hai, watashi no chichi no kuruma ga oishikatta desu!...or, in other words, "Yes, my dad's car was delicious!"
Bucket_Head said:
"I haven''t come across anything that couldn''t be done by use of a struct"

Oook, I might be missing the point but inheritance, polymorphism, virtual functions, abstraction. Ring any bells? I *far* prefer classes for most objects but obviously the more stripped down structs are good for bsp nodes and other things that can easily be stored in a file or read from a file with a single call to fread or fwrite.
What about creating some kind of basic First person shooter. I know it''s kind of raining these, but they include all aspect for the design of a good 3D game - collision detection, interface creation, network play, etc etc.

Nathan
Ok, on the class front, I will be using *basic* classes (I *hate* using inheritance, polymorphism, etc.) for orginizational purposes only.

I plan to discuss 3D sound, and loading/animating 3D models (I will be using only MD2s at first, and maybe MD3s sometime too).

I have a lot of ideas for complete games as it is, so I am doing fine on ideas for that, though I don''t really want to do a FPS game, as they are very abundant, and source for a simple one is very abundant. I wouldn''t mind doing a few third person ones though.

As for the tutorial lineup (right now at least), in order of appearence (hopefully): Vector/Matrix Theory and Code, Particle Engine Tut, Terrain Engine, MD2 Loading and Rendering, DirectInput for the mouse, DirectAudio, Intersection Testing, Implementing Full-Scale Collision Detection, Making a first game, Introduction to Non Photorealistic Rendering Techniques, and making a game with NPR.

Thats just a tentative lineup however, tell me what you think.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games (I had to make one up, to fit in with the rest of you )
Project: Writing tutorials and code for my OpenGL Game Programming series
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
The line up of the tutorials is great. I can''t wait to see them come out. I think (and this my own opion) that the next tutorial should be a simple game to get things started. In your order "Making your First Game" was towards the end. It can be there but I think you should start off with a simple game like Pong. Pong is great because there is collsion detection, multiplyer, texture mapping and all sorts of stuff needed to make a complex game. Just an idea. I can''t wait until the terrain engine tutorial comes out because I am trying to make one myself for a flight simulator.
Any game programmer can make games. Real programmers can finish them.
Oooohh... I *like* NPR discussions. Too bad it seems to be a big huge bandwagon for console games to jump on right now.

Still cool theory though.

I''d like to see something about how to combine different engines together, like a terrain engine (maybe quadtree?) and an indoor engine (portals?). I''m very interested in making a seamless outdoor/indoor world.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement