Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help, 3D Physics question...

This topic is 6030 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I am trying to do a simple simulation of a Ball moveing over a surface like a pool game (WITHOUT Friction, so no rotation here), but the only difference with a pool table is that my table has slopes, so my trouble is as follows: First I know that to program some real physics I need to calculate all the Forces acting over my ball's center of mass and then get the acceleration with a = F / m, so then I integrate this accel an get velocity so integrate then and I get my pos. So for my ball rolling a Plane Table without slopes I use: Fy = N - W = 0 (Where N = Normal Force, and W = mg) Fx = F (Where F = Impulse force) But when I am in a slope I know that I must get the Normal and W components based in the slope angle, but I really dont know how to compute this with vector math? I really appreciate any help with this. Thanks Oscar Edited by - ogracian on June 12, 2001 7:20:24 PM Edited by - ogracian on June 12, 2001 7:23:32 PM

I'm currently doing exactly the same thing : a ball rolling on an uneven ground.

First you calculate the 'Free' Forces.
Weight W = mg and Impulse F = whatever you want.

N is the normal to your slope. (careful, I'm not using your notations here )

The reaction of the Table is f+R, where :
1. f is friction (parallel to the slope) ( in this case f=0 )
2. R is perpendicular to the ground, ( ie. R = k * N, with k being a float )
3. R+W+F is parallel to the ground. i.e. (R+W+F).N = 0
( . is the dot product )

3 and 2 give : (W+F).N = - R.N = -k
back into 3 : R = -((W+F).N)*N

Finally : R+W+F = W+F -((W+F).N)*N

And that's the sum of all forces.
I hope this helps, but if you want, I can post some code.

Edited by - Thibault on June 13, 2001 5:36:07 AM

Hello, and thanks so much for your help, that was exactly what I was looking for!. By other Hand, I really appreciate so much if you could post some code

For Last, if I want to add friction force to my simulation, could you tell me how can this be added to the equation?, this is because I will try to add some ball's rotation.

Best Regards!
Oscar

Edited by - ogracian on June 13, 2001 11:53:59 PM