Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Physics question...

This topic is 6028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I am trying to do a simple simulation of a Ball moveing over a surface like a pool game (WITHOUT Friction, so no rotation here), but the only difference with a pool table is that my table has slopes, so my trouble is as follows: First I know that to program some real physics I need to calculate all the Forces acting over my ball''s center of mass and then get the acceleration with a = F / m, so then I integrate this accel an get velocity so integrate then and I get my pos. So for my ball rolling a Plane Table without slopes I use: Fy = N - W = 0 (Where N = Normal Force, and W = mg) Fx = F (Where F = Impulse force) But when I am in a slope I know that I must get the Normal and W components based in the slope angle, but I really dont know how to compute this with vector math? I really appreciate any help with this. Thanks Oscar

I''m not completely sure I understood what you were asking, but I think your just looking for the normal to your angled plane? If you have the verteces of the plane (3 is all you need to define the plane), then create 2 vectors by subtracting 2 of them from one:
point a, b, c;
vector A, B;
A = a-b;
B - c-b;

Then use the cross product to get the normal to the plane:

vector normal = crossproduct(A, B);

the cross product of two vectors is the determinant of the following matrix.

|i, j, k |
|A1, A2, A3|
|B1, B2, B3|

where i j, and k are the basis vectors for 3D space.
i = <1, 0, 0>
j = <0, 1, 0>
k = <0, 0, 1>

The long and short is this:
normal = (A2*B3-B2*A3)i - (A1*B3 - B1*A3)j + (A1*B2 - B1*A2)k;

or in code

vector crossproduct(vector A, vector B)
{
vector normal;
result.x = A.y*b.z - b.y*A.z;
result.y = -A.x*B.z + B.x*A.z;
result.z = A.x*B.y - B.x*A.y;
return normal;
}

Sorry for being long winded. . .I hope this actually addresses your question

-Dan

I''m not completely sure I understood what you were asking, but I think your just looking for the normal to your angled plane? If you have the verteces of the plane (3 is all you need to define the plane), then create 2 vectors by subtracting 2 of them from one:
point a, b, c;
vector A, B;
A = a-b;
B - c-b;

Then use the cross product to get the normal to the plane:

vector normal = crossproduct(A, B);

the cross product of two vectors is the determinant of the following matrix.

|i, j, k |
|A1, A2, A3|
|B1, B2, B3|

where i j, and k are the basis vectors for 3D space.
i = <1, 0, 0>
j = <0, 1, 0>
k = <0, 0, 1>

The long and short is this:
normal = (A2*B3-B2*A3)i - (A1*B3 - B1*A3)j + (A1*B2 - B1*A2)k;

or in code

vector crossproduct(vector A, vector B)
{
vector normal;
result.x = A.y*b.z - b.y*A.z;
result.y = -A.x*B.z + B.x*A.z;
result.z = A.x*B.y - B.x*A.y;
return normal;
}

Sorry for being long winded. . .I hope this actually addresses your question

-Dan

Thanks for your replay, and unfortunatly I dont explain well
as Normal I refer to Normal Force which is the force applied by the plane over the rolling ball''s

Any way thanks for your help.

I think I know what you need to do,

the ball must always lie on the surface of the plane, we can use this restriction since this implies that the resultant force in a direction perpendicular to the plane must be 0. So, let n be the *unit* normal to the plane(make sure you get the right direction), and let N be the normal force vector that you are after, then we can find ||N|| from

||N||+F.n+(mg).n=0

and from this we have N=||N||n
where . denotes the dot/inner product, F is your external force (or sum of) and g is the gravity vector(which I assume would be 9.8<0,-1,0>).

From this the resultant force vector on the particle is the vector sum of all of N,F,mg, you can get the components in x&y direction from this easier than you can calculating them individually and composing them in to a vector.

JJ.

Thanks for your help.

Well so to get my Normal Force (N) I need to use the following formula:N = F.n+(mg).n ?

Or could you tell me why do you refer to N as:
||N||+F.n+(mg).n=0
N=||N||n

Thanks in advance.
Oscar

I''ve taken N to be a vector, you know that it''s in the direction of n, you just need to find it''s length, I''m using ||N|| to represent it''s length (which is the normal force in scalar terms).
The formula involving ||N|| comes from the fact that the component of F in the direction of n is F.n, likewise for the weight term. So your end formula for the normal force is ||N||=-F.n-(mg).n
and if you wanted it in vector form this gives you N=||N||n

Hope that clears things up, but remember I''ve assumed F and g to be vectors.

JJ.