Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

if you own the book....

This topic is 6014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

please post a review on amazon.com(be honest, i''m not begging for 5 star reviews). i know a lot of you like the book, but these bad reviews i''ve been getting (three in a row now) are really killing me. i know that not everybody hates my book, right?

I bet he''s never heard that one before!

Hey TANS, I just posted a nice review on Amazon...should be up in a few days...

-Coleco

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!

mmmmmmmmmmkay

--HASBRO SUCKS--

Don''t listen to the bad ones.
Let me restate that take a grain of salt with them. They were probably looking for a more advanced book with more rts, rpg style games. You gave the fundametals of the engine not the rest of the code. Your book is excellent for new and intermediate programmers. It gave me new ideas to stretch me thoughts to higher levels. Since I just started game programming about one year ago this was the best source for isometric programming there is.

Mahee - I doubt Tans is so much worried about the bad ones himself as he is worried that the uninformed will see the bad ones and decided not to buy the book

thanks, eboz.

also, thanks coleco. i just saw the review just now.

in answer to your complaints(coleco):

1) the 3d part was not "required" per se, but "highly suggested", which has about the same force as "required".

2) the art was of my own making, so of course it sucks. i mention that it sucks several times in the book.

And... i do have writing a "volume II" planned, but right now i''m working on my cybiko book (it''ll be done in a month), and since prima-tech is for sale right now, i''m not sure if they are going to want to take on any new contracts, so i may have to wait until next year to write it.

Tans. Your book rule!
But at first I was really sceptic because of the lousy artwork.
I guess that if you judge the book by looking at the pages only, believe it or not many people do that it doesnt look that impressive. First impression and all. But after reading the book trough, I have to say its really nice.

//Jolt

Hi TAN,

I would love to go and post a review but I am still waiting for a response to some questions I emailed you after I read the book.

Now, to be fair, I used email.com and it is having major problems right now.

I sent the questions before finding this place so I''ll just repost one of them here for everyones benefit:

One thing I missed from the book is a discussion on scale. What is the best way to figure a scale for your game? Lets say you are doing an RPG like Diablo, what scale would they use? How many feet would a tile represent? How many feet would a pixel represent? What is the best tile size to use? etc.

Robert Kozak
www.RealmsCrafters.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey All,

Just thought I''d mention that I''m doing an Open Source ISO engine based on the ideas from TAN''s book and illustrating the use of the new game-programming friendly features in Java 1.4

Its being posted as-I-go in the Tech section of javagaming.org

(And yeah I''ll go give you a nice review on amazon.)

I tried to do a review on Amazon - twice!!!

Do they limit the number of reviews? There are 17 reviews of the book right now, is that some Amazon max??

Dash Zero
Credits: Fast Attack - Software Sorcery - Published by Sierra 1996