Windows ME and Newer Programmers

Started by
20 comments, last by EbonySeraph 22 years, 10 months ago
I started learning C/C++ for DOS console applications as did just about everyone here(as a starting point for C++ or C). I know Windows 98 does not require DOS but comes with it -- and I think DOS actually loads Windows 98. But what happens when 98 is obsolete and everything is Windows ME+? Will new programmers be forced to learn how to program in Windows from the start? Thats kind of overwhelming don't you think? Maybe Microsoft should have thought of that before getting rid of DOS.(which I still love) But a simple solution to this problem is having some sort of console or command line application to simulate DOS so that new programmers can still write older(DOS) C/C++ console apps. That was my 2 cents. P.S. Why cant Microsoft make a SIMPLE internet broswer on their OWN operating system that doesn't FREEZE!!!! ---Seriously. "Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem. Edited by - EbonySeraph on June 13, 2001 1:19:45 AM
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
Advertisement
WinME runs DOS apps fine. It has a DOS emulator built in so when you run a straight DOS program and use BIOS routines it emulates them. Win2000 runs them too. And if you want, MSVC++ has the option to build a console app. It needs windows to run though.
Windows ME still uses and requires DOS. It just pretends it doesn''t better than the previous versions of Windows. WinNT and Win2K are the only (commercially released) versions of windows that don''t use DOS.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
DOS != Console
No one is ever taught using DOS, we are all taught on linux/unix boxes. The only people who learn dos are ones who teach themselves it on their own time with books. Also, My college University of Minnesota doesnt have 1 single course that would ever teac anything on windows, its so anti-microsoft it makes me sick. You graduate with a bachelors or even masters from here in computer science with out ever touching MS Windows, which is just sad.

Possibility
No one is ever taught using DOS, we are all taught on linux/unix boxes. The only people who learn dos are ones who teach themselves it on their own time with books. Also, My college University of Minnesota doesnt have 1 single course that would ever teac anything on windows, its so anti-microsoft it makes me sick. You graduate with a bachelors or even masters from here in computer science with out ever touching MS Windows, which is just sad.

Possibility
Linux boxes are the future. People might as well learn them, cuz even if linux isn''t popular on some systems, it uses a standard POSIX api.
Linux is not the future and never will be, unfortunately. Thus it is needed to know how to program in windows, and thus should be taught with a higher priority then anyother operating system. Most programs are writting on windows for windows.

Possibility
If you''re good at programming you can teach yourself the Win32 API pretty easily, in a short period of time. Learning to research and solving problems logically are the only hard parts to progamming. After that, you should be able to figure things out yourself. If they don''t teach you the Win32 API, learn it yourself.

On a slightly seperate note: there is a huge market for Linux. Even if you don''t use it at home, large corporations need programmers to edit and create applications for their servers and networks. I spoke to an NEC employee a while back; they''ll hire anyone with experience with Linux, because people who do have experience with it are hard to find.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Programming classes at my high school use VB.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON WITH NO PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE HAS GIVEN UP ON PROGRAMMING AFTER TAKING THOSE CLASSES.

Basically they ruin programming for everyone.

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement