Windows ME and Newer Programmers

Started by
20 comments, last by EbonySeraph 22 years, 10 months ago
It is true that Linux is not ready for primetime yet in the workstation or gaming arenas, but they are way beyond primetime for server software.

I used to work for a web hosting company that offered hosting on NT and Linux. We could host over 500 sites on an optimized P3 600/256MB Linux box while at 275 an NT box running IIS on the exact same hardware will start to choke.

I also worked for a major online sporting site (THE major online sporting site...) and the only PCs in the building running any Microsoft products were the receptionists and secretaries.

Of course the desktop GUI is not as refined as Microsoft yet. There is a very good reason for that. Microsoft''s GUI is bloated and error-ridden. The XFree86/Gnome guys are concentrating on making a STABLE and LEAN running GUI and making sure that they conform to standards set out by the different standards committees instead of making their own standards and forcing everybody to live with them. They are also building it to be easily extendable by in-house developers. Try extending Windows. Go ahead and ask old Billy boy for a copy of his source code

Linux does not waste resources the way Windows does. Sure, you load XFree and it tells you that it is using 120MB of RAM. You run it for 3 weeks doing different things, exit to Linux console, go back in and it will give you the same numbers.
Try doing that in Windows. Run Windows for 3 weeks playing games without rebooting and tell me what your system resources look like.

The performance of a Linux box depends more on the memory available than does Windows compared to processor speeds. Take a normal Win9x/ME box with 256MB of RAM and do some benchmarking on high memory usage applications. Now add another 256MB of RAM and do it again. See a difference? Didn''t think so.

Do the same thing on Linux. Major difference.

NT will improve performance some but it will not be as dramatic as Linux.

I can write a program on Linux that will COOK an Athlon processor ( I have a toasted specimen if you don''t believe me )that has standard cooling while I can only make it really hot on Windows. Linux uses the full power of your processor and memory. That is why you can still run linux applications on some really slow processors.

IBM, Dell, DEC are all jumping on the Linux bandwagon in a major fashion.

Expect some good stuff real soon.

Seeya
Krippy
Advertisement
I don''t see the ability to melt the CPU as a benefit

And W2k has both, cmd.exe AND a command.exe (that emulates command.com); someday they might decide to finally drop the command.com support, but they''ll always have ''cmd''.

You can build console appliations with MSVC right now; they only run under Win32, but you don''t need to know all that GDI stuff just to start learning C on Windows.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement