is there a future for c# in game programming?

Started by
10 comments, last by neural_dancer 22 years, 10 months ago
I am just beginning with game programming. I-m learning c++ and open gl. I am also a web programmer so i-m using a beta of Visual Studio.Net. I saw some articles about c# and how cool it would be in web application development and how much easyer it would be in developing stuff instead of c++. Now i would like to know if c# would be good enough to use with open gl and direct x for game development?
Advertisement
not yet. right now it runs slower than c++ code. It closely resembles vb as far as speed. maybe someday they will speed it up enough for game programming.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Basic itself has been around for years...never has gotten as fast as natively written code.
C# is a language that will be dominated and controlled by Microsoft. MS products have a history of being instrusive, abusive, bulky, and unreliable. C++ is a far safer bet, if the world starts coding all apps in C#, MS gains control of a LOT.

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!
actually C# is pretty much a standard - MS itself can not change it and still call it C#. Java and Sun, on the other hand...

You know, I never wanted to be a programmer...

Alexandre Moura
Question: What is C#?

Is that like cScript of like C or something else I dont even know about...

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
C# is M$ version of Java; they created it after they lost a law suit to Sun about illegal modifications of the Java standard.

C# is more like C++ in syntax than Java is, however it only supports single inheritence like Java (unlike C++). It makes no distinction between objects on the stack and objects on the heap - all are dereferenced by the . operator. This might be a big deal if C# didn''t also have automatic garbage collection.

With .NET VB, C#, & C+++ all use the same compiler and same COMponents to access OS services. In a program that perform the same task using the CLR (common language runtime) COMponents the performance between the applications should be identical.

However, if you program in C or C++ you don''t have to use the CLR or any of the newfangled COMponents. All the existing APIs will still be supported by Windows.

So yes, you can write games in C#, as well as Java and VB. A significant amount of the time critical code is behind the DirectX interfaces, which will be accessed in a consistent manor from all the languages with .NET.

Any time I try to use any tool other MSVC, for any purpose, I get pissed about it''s limitations; your-milage-may-vary.

M$ has wildly changed Visual Basic (for the better) over the years, and it''s still called VB...

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by alexmoura

actually C# is pretty much a standard - MS itself can not change it and still call it C#. Java and Sun, on the other hand...

The C# language specification is standard and open, which means anybody can implement they''re own version of it, BUT all the libraries and stuff are tied up with microsoft, i.e. everything that makes it useful. These are not standard and will probably be prone to as many alterations as all microsofts other stuff.

This is exactly the same with Java, although there are different versions of the language spec. i.e. 1.1,1.2 etc

thi sis my si gitzt hebezt
thi sis my si gitzt hebezt
C# = the beginning of the end

Slashdot hates Microsoft for a reason, you know.

is there a future for c# in game programming?

*shakes magic eight ball*

Ask at a later time

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement