How intelligent are kangaroos?

Started by
36 comments, last by Avatar God 15 years, 6 months ago
I’ve been hearing lately how Australia could reduce green house emissions by eating more kangaroo meat instead of beef. I don’t have a problem with killing cows or deer for food, but for me it just seems wrong to kill kangaroos. The fact that they are bipedal makes them seem more human to me. Does anyone know how intelligent they are compared to cow, sheep, or deer?
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Advertisement
Given that they aren't being eatten I'm gonna say 'more than' [grin]
Quote:Original post by ManaStone
I’ve been hearing lately how Australia could reduce green house emissions by eating more kangaroo meat instead of beef. I don’t have a problem with killing cows or deer for food, but for me it just seems wrong to kill kangaroos. The fact that they are bipedal makes them seem more human to me. Does anyone know how intelligent they are compared to cow, sheep, or deer?

I think it's around 12.

Mmm, mar-soup-ials! [wink]
they are not so close to humans.

Why do you feel okay killing cows or deer? Because they're not as smart as humans? I mean me I'm hooked on the food chain, but the meat industry is pretty obscene
Kangaroos are quite intelligent, so intelligent in fact that they can operate shoulder mounted stinger missiles! http://www.sie.arizona.edu/sysengr/OOSE/kangaroo.html

But I think that they are actually generally pretty intelligent.
From my highly unscientific observations of the animals, I'd say kangaroos are smarter than cows and sheep (which seem quite dim) but not as intelligent as pigs or octopi which are fairly commonly eaten in Western society.

I don't see any good reason to not eat kangaroo - we often have to cull them when their numbers get too high for the surrounding vegetation, so why not eat them? The main objection appears to be that kangaroo an Aussie symbol, but I'm not sure why that should be an issue.

I'm practically vegetarian though, so it's not as if it'll affect my diet.
I always thought Kangaroos were an endangered animal.
Quote:Original post by Tiffany_Smith
I always thought Kangaroos were an endangered animal.

One variety or another are pretty common throught most of Australia. You'll see mobs of Eastern Grey kangaroos if you drive between the big cities on the east coast; I saw quite a few when I drove back to Melbourne from Canberra a couple of weeks ago.
Why does it matter how smart they are? They should eat humans since that would reduce green house emission far more. I mean I'd probably eat human meat if:

1. If they came precut and packaged. I don't feel like killing someone just like I don't feel like killing and gutting a cow.

2. If it was cheaper then other meats and more healthy.

3. If it was legal.

So yes I think they should eat kangaroos just like I think they should eat humans! [smile]
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement