How intelligent are kangaroos?

Started by
36 comments, last by Avatar God 15 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by EmptyVoid
2. If it was cheaper then other meats and more healthy.

This won't ever be true. Apart from humans being expensive to grow to maturity, there's a whole bunch of nasty diseases you can catch from eating your own species.

Unless you were referring to the kangaroos eating the humans. That's also a bad idea because kangaroos are herbivores, so they don't have the digestive system for it. You'd be better off packaging humans for the dingoes and the sharks.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote:Original post by EmptyVoid
2. If it was cheaper then other meats and more healthy.

This won't ever be true. Apart from humans being expensive to grow to maturity, there's a whole bunch of nasty diseases you can catch from eating your own species.

Unless you were referring to the kangaroos eating the humans. That's also a bad idea because kangaroos are herbivores, so they don't have the digestive system for it. You'd be better off packaging humans for the dingoes and the sharks.

No I was saying I would eat human meat IF that was the case.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Quote:One variety or another are pretty common throught most of Australia. You'll see mobs of Eastern Grey kangaroos if you drive between the big cities on the east coast; I saw quite a few when I drove back to Melbourne from Canberra a couple of weeks ago.

We had one on the front lawn a few years ago (BTW this was in the middle of Canberra - for those that don't know, this is the Capital city of Australia).

Quote:I always thought Kangaroos were an endangered animal.

There are sever4al species of Kangaroo, and yes, some are endangered, but when most people talk about Kangaroos, they are talking about the Eastern Grey Kangaroo, and this one is definitely not endangered (it can be a pest a lot of the times).

It's numbers get so big, that they have to cull them. Some might think this is a cruel response, but the alternative is for the population to grow so large that they eat all the grass and have mass starvation (a far worse outcome).

One thing about Kangaroos is that they are adapted to the Australian environment (as the Eastern Greys demonstrate). This means that they can survive better on the vegetation and water levels found in Australia. It also means that the environment has adapted to them too, so they don't cause to much damage to the environment.

An example of this is with cows, their dung is rather moist (also a waste of water). The dung beetles native to Australia can't handle this moist dung. The result was masses of flys as they laid their eggs in the cow dung. The only solution was to bring in dung beetles that could handle it, and now the fly problem is getting under control.

So farming Kangaroos would actually be a benefit, we would ahve better control over their population, they wouldn't need as much resource (water and feed) and they wouldn't damage the environment as much.

The reason they are not farmed is that people have a hang up about eating them (I don't, I actually like the taste of Kangaroo more than beef - I had some Kangaroo sausages just last week).
Quote:Original post by Edtharan
The reason they are not farmed is that people have a hang up about eating them.

And you need taller fences [smile].

Everybody in this thread is wrong. [grin]

Kangaroo meat is on the shelves in supermarkets. Kangaroo steaks are tasty (taste pretty much life beef), and really, really healthy. Cheap, not so much. They'll only become cheaper if they were mass-farmed, and farming is a bit of a problem, because they're nomadic animals - they won't graze in a paddock, unless it's a large paddock. That's the fundamental problem with farming them. Public perception I can't comment on, although most people I know don't eat it because a) they haven't thought about it, and b) it's nowhere near as readily available.

Basically, we need some dedicated farmers, and things'll get cheaper. I wouldn't mind it - I like red meat, but beef's too fatty.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
If memory serves, Kangaroos are neurally wired such that they're only bipedal in the most literal sense. More monopedal, really. I say chow down.
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
If memory serves, Kangaroos are neurally wired such that they're only bipedal in the most literal sense. More monopedal, really. I say chow down.

.. So, what, they're just hairy pogosticks with an extra leg?
Don't kangaroos run into the road and get smoked by cars like our deer, bears, moose and cows?
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Don't kangaroos run into the road and get smoked by cars like our deer, bears, moose and cows?

No. They jump into the road and total your windscreen.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote:Original post by Ravuya

No. They jump into the road and total your windscreen.

I can vouch for that. Driving along after dark whilst down under, one had the evolutionary disadvantage of being attracted towards headlights. Took a week to get the spare part to where we were in WA, very annoying - but probably more so for the 'roo.

I did also have a Kangeroo kebab, which tasted OK but not great. They're quite interesting animals so I wouldn't eat them if there was a shortage or anything, but there are lots of 'em down there.
Positronic Arts [blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement