How intelligent are kangaroos?

Started by
36 comments, last by Avatar God 15 years, 6 months ago
The first time I was in Australia years ago, I almost crashed head on into a group of Kangaroos somewhere halfway between Melbourne and Sydney. They were just standing around on the road in the middle of the night, not moving and probably attracted by the head lights. It was fucking scary, I barely managed to stop in time.
Advertisement
yeah, that's why you don't drive in Aussie at night. A few years ago I was in WA and got delayed on a trip, and ended up driving until eleven. At one point a bloody great desert red actually cleared the bonnet and missed my windscreen by inches. I actually did end up hitting a rock wallaby (I think), but fortunately it was a small one, so no major damage done. Cutting it out of the "roo bar" wasn't pleasant though.

And for the record, I've eaten kangaroo and it's not bad. But I'd take crocodile over it any day. [grin]
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
If the recipe is good... we kill actually intelligent beings every day and we don't even eat them.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
ive had kangaroo before not the tastiest meat but certainly palatable (better than crocodile anyways)

another meat suggestion is the possum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Brushtail_Possum
70million of them here in nz (and thats after the government spending millions trying to wipe them out of the last 20+ years!)
, so a fair few burgers could be made
Quote:Original post by zedz
70million of them here in nz (and thats after the government spending millions trying to wipe them out of the last 20+ years!)
, so a fair few burgers could be made

If you don't mind eating what looks like a giant cross between a rat and bat.
Quote:Original post by Kaze
If you don't mind eating what looks like a giant cross between a rat and bat.

You're thinking of the American possums. Australasian possums look like a cross between a rat and a rabbit. They're a bit higher on the cuteness scale.
People are smart, that doesn't stop bears from eating us.

Don't let the pouches fool you, if a Kangaroo ever got the chance he'd slaughter you and your entire family.
Yeah, judging my my driving experiences, I'm going to say Kangaroos are not very smart. I haven't hit any, but I've come close a number of times. One time I was flying along a rural road at 100KPH at night, and I round a corner and find a group of about a dozen of them just standing in the middle of the road. I had to do some pretty quick braking to avoid hitting them. What really got me was the fact that the buggers just stood there. I came hurling towards this mob in a big 4WD at high speed, and managed to pull up just a few metres in front of them. Half of the roos didn't even look up, and the ones that did just looked down again and didn't react. It took about 20 seconds before some of them got the message they should probably move, and they started slowly hopping off the road a few at a time.

And yeah, I took the next corner at 70 instead.
I've eaten kangaroo. Not bad at all. I note, though, that the reason their meat is lean and good is probably that they are hunted rather than farmed. If they were domesticated as we've done to our more usual meat animals, they would no doubt be bred for meatiness and become fatty in no time, same as happened to cattle.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
I don't know about intelligence or edibility but kangaroos are good fighters.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement