The User Rating System

Started by
54 comments, last by programering 15 years, 6 months ago
I haven't said what you just did.
Btw, do you want me to worship you, Sneftel? [smile]

{edit: Okay, sorry, that was too much, and pardon my P.M. (really that was too much, not because you're a mod, that makes no difference to me when talking non-administrative things (and I think it shouldn't))
But what got me mad was that I tried to participate in this thread by telling what I personally experienced, and I tried to point out a weakness. But what you have showed was, imho, just instigative, and not really related to my arguments; and then that super sarcastic smily in your last post.}

---

SiCrane+Promit: sorry when I wasn't able to express enough what I mean in an adequate manner.

Though i am still interested in the underlying rating-algo.

[Edited by - greenhybrid on October 8, 2008 9:36:19 AM]
Advertisement
I believe the algorithm was initially:
You + Post about your rating = Don't freaking do it

We'll have to see what adjustments superpig will make for the new system.
Quote:Original post by rip-off
I believe the algorithm was initially:
You + Post about your rating = Don't freaking do it

Yes, many Dont's herearound :D

Quote:We'll have to see what adjustments superpig will make for the new system.

Yes, I am snoopy on that, too.
Hm?

I missed this bit...

Quote:Original post by greenhybrid

Today, I received many bad ratings, and I guess it is because I called stimarco a troll (dude, I bet you're a okay man in general, but that LISP-comment...) after he said basically that the inventor of LISP was an idiot [sic] and didn't go to school before producing "crap", disregarding the fact that LISP is the 2nd oldest surviving language (1950s), hence pioneer work, and that there wasn't much school at all where they teached compiler construction, so in that case stimarcos post was unqualified.

1. Being a pioneer is more often than not an accident of birth and circumstance. Someone had to be the one to write "First!" on the forum thread of history. In this particular case it was Prof. McCarthy. Given his recent papers, I'm not particularly inclined to feel charitable towards him, but I doubt he gives a damn what some random guy on the internet thinks of his life's work.

2. Lisp is essentially a verbatim implementation of Lambda-Calculus. It is mistakenly described as a "language", but it is no more a language than, say, the Bourne Shell command-set. It's fundamentally an application with a textual UI. Like a domain-specific text-only version of Mathematica. The vast majority of programming "languages" are similarly limited, in my not-so-humble opinion.

3. Mathematics is a representation of reality, not reality itself. Programming is NOT mathematics. Just because programming can be described in mathematical terms, it does not follow that it must be, yet there is still a strong tendency in the programming community to assume mathematicians, engineers and their ilk are the only people qualified to design programming tools. (The evidence to date certainly suggests otherwise, but that's an inflammatory debate for another thread.) Such people tend to royally suck at interface design.

4. I've been programming for nearly thirty years, but my background is in the arts, not the sciences. I admire good design, but there's precious little evidence of it in the programming tools field.

Finally, I do tend to rant and exaggerate. It's a common rhetorical technique and something I try to avoid, but tend not to. I usually hit "Submit" immediately after writing the last sentence and my posts are usually stream-of-consciousness. (I edit sometimes, but not often.) This is why my signature has that disclaimer in it.

I'm also fond of a good debate. Not flame-wars -- there's nothing to be gained from those -- but I've learned a lot from the political threads here. It's damned hard to find good, logical debate in most forums.

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
stimarco: I acknowledge on some your points, plus that pioneers are not necessarily good practitioners in their growing discipline.

I personally consider LISP a very useful tool (if only as calculator on the shell-line, but I also hear whole CRM systems are implemented in it (http://clozure.com)) and I really have learned some things with it. I also use a LISP-like language to encode my heightmaps, for two reasons: 1) super super easy to parse (e.g.) ... 2) and it will be a great utility when I come to implementing a graph-based editor for my heightmaps (i.e. LISP code generally forms a nice hierarchy, compared to most imperative languages). But that's taste, LISP is just a tool, as is [put any language here], and wasn't the real point I was digging on, it was your (as you pointed out) rude style with the idiots and craps and stuff.

let's conclude (?) that
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Halifax2's rating (I think?*)

This link didn't brought me to Halifax2's rating list but to my own. And at the bottom I saw that sharpnova had -115 in rating, something I have never seen before. How is that possible?

Yeah, my mistake. It brings you to your own list of who you rated up. (The 'Users You Have Rated' page in your control panel) I replaced the 'personal' part of the url http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/editassociates.asp?mode=personal, to halifax's internal ID. It came up with a list of users other than those who rated me up, so I figured it must've the people who rated him up. Instead, as he pointed out, it points to whoever you rated up. [smile]

I have no idea about sharpnova's rating, but I expect it's unrelated.
Quote:Original post by programering
And at the bottom I saw that sharpnova had -115 in rating, something I have never seen before. How is that possible?

AFAIK the user rating is displayed as at least 0 in the forums. The underlying database stores a potentially negative number. You must have unearthed one area in the forum that does not implement this rule.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
That was because you said some ridiculous things, including:

- "Microsoft is the owner of DirectX10, ATI and the Xbox360"
- "the unified shader has EVERYTHING to do with DirectX10 on the Xbox360"
- "WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PEOPLE LOOKING AT THIS?!?!?! Is this like a edgy topic or something?"
- "This thread is closed."

Always examine your own posting style before wondering about low ratings.

He does have a point though, if your post disagrees with the majority you have to write it in a much more polite and careful manner(if you care about your rating) than if it agrees with the majority simply because most people are more likely to be offended by a rude post if they disagree with its message than if they agree with it.

This however doesn't mean that people get undeservedly low ratings but rather that its possible to be rude without taking a huge rating hit if you pick the dominant side in a discussion.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement