The User Rating System

Started by
54 comments, last by programering 15 years, 6 months ago
Couldn't have said it better myself. I completely agree with ukdeveloper.
Advertisement
The ratings system is an honest reflection of how the community feels about you and always has been. If you don't want to face that honesty, that's a different problem. Unfair? It's brutally fair. Posters with higher ratings are taken more seriously because people choose to take those posters more seriously. Your rating is high or low because a substantial number of people have decided to make it that way.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I think a lot of people forget just how much nonsense the forums had before the ratings system was introduced. Crap posting, random insults, tired in-jokes etc. The rating system may not be perfect but it's still a heck of a lot better than not having one at all.
Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper
The fundamental problem with the rating system is that there are those who defend it to the end despite its flaws.

What flaws? It's an aggregate system. In fact, it's an aggregate of arbitrary responses. It's not a measure of your technical accuracy, or your skill as a developer. It is a measure of how the community feels about you.

Quote:I think it should be hosed and replaced with something far more robust...

Like what? I've never heard a sensible alternative suggestion.
Quote:Original post by Daaark
I just think there should be ratings for different things.

This is the idea behind Superpig's tag-based rating system, which I think will provide much more useful info than just a number, while giving more specific feedback.

[size="1"]
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
What flaws? It's an aggregate system. In fact, it's an aggregate of arbitrary responses. It's not a measure of your technical accuracy, or your skill as a developer. It is a measure of how the community feels about you.

To be fair, it wasn't always. Early in the system's history, quite a few people got mass-rated for the hell of it. "Hey, guys! Quit rating me down or I'll get sooo aaaaaangry!" "Oh oh look what I did I rated you down anyway!" was the basic model. Nowadays, though, everyone seems to find threads about ratings to be ambiently annoying as opposed to a call to arms, with a correspondingly mild response.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi

To be fair, it wasn't always. Early in the system's history, quite a few people got mass-rated for the hell of it. "Hey, guys! Quit rating me down or I'll get sooo aaaaaangry!" "Oh oh look what I did I rated you down anyway!" was the basic model. Nowadays, though, everyone seems to find threads about ratings to be ambiently annoying as opposed to a call to arms, with a correspondingly mild response.

I fail to see the contradiction. The only "flaw" in the system is that it does not reflect an instantaneous measure of community feeling toward you - if a person's attitude toward you changes but he/she does not re-rate you, well, tough. So the rating system is an aggregation of community member attitudes toward you at arbitrary times. Overall, despite two degrees of randomness, ratings converge toward an accurate value.

They're about as accurate - and useful - as pre-election polls.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Sure, some people are in the 950-1000 range who are helpful and some are in the 1000-1050 range who are not so helpful, but generally speaking the high ratings go to useful and friendly people and the low ratings do not. The system works.

(Peers myopically at rating. Faints.)

Clearly I'm the exception that proves the rule.

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Naturally, simply posting a lot of really long, seemingly relevant posts is also effective, stimarco. People don't actually read them of course, but it's only reasonable to assume that, had anyone bothered to read the post, it would have been helpful and therefore worthy of rating up.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
My personal experience on that topic (in short, here on gamedev, it's better to follow the mainstream if you find your rating important):

Today, I received many bad ratings, and I guess it is because I called stimarco a troll (dude, I bet you're a okay man in general, but that LISP-comment...) after he said basically that the inventor of LISP was an idiot [sic] and didn't go to school before producing "crap", disregarding the fact that LISP is the 2nd oldest surviving language (1950s), hence pioneer work, and that there wasn't much school at all where they teached compiler construction, so in that case stimarcos post was unqualified.

Now, the man McCarthy eventually did not rate stimarco bad, and everyone seemed fine with stimarco calling him an idiot. So I went into that discussion and said that was "unqualified trolling", because that comment *was* unqualified, and usually unqualifiedness commentary *is* trolling. I added some more information about "Human-Readability". But then, all I received was bad votes, and my bet on that is that in general, only those people that follow the mainstream (Windows, Microsoft, C#, XNA, and stuff) have a chance of getting rated good in a bigger discussion.

I mean, just emphasizing the difference between Freeware and ..., meh (I shouldn't even think of saying the next, it would get me bad votes), recently brought me about -70 points.

What I learn:
* never ever say something that doesn't conform to the opinion of a 1500+
* never ever say one of the "badwords" (GPL, Free Software, GNU, Linux, Stallman, C++, LISP, Ray Tracing)
* go with the majority of people, or keep off bigger discussions where the majority rips you off
* don't even think of using irony like "write down XYZ 100 times ;)", people get pissed off by that when you're in the minority (contrary, they get happy when you've just ripped off someone of the minority with such a comment)

Yes, lots of complaining, but this is what I have experienced on gamedev. I have also seen the other site: When I started on gamedev some years ago, when I was doing terrain rendering in MSVCPP with DX8, everything was fine, ppl were friendly to me in general, I could participate in big and very public discussion, and they didn't ask questions like "why do publish your code under the gpl? man, that means i cannot cannibalize that code, you're so lame" (??!).

Well, same behaviour wrt my friendlyness to others, but switching from mainstream to non-mainstream brought me mostly bad votes.

(And I bet my rating will even get lower after my next statement (is 731 at the moment):)

Now I am really on the evil hippie side: GNU/Linux user, gcc user, C++ in times of C# user, Ray Tracing not Rasterizing (oh my god). Free Software.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement